Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

In my house of 6, we have the best broadband package for our area, however it is still very inconsistent. I am a competitive gamer so I am hooked up via direct ethernet (I have tried ring main extenders too) as I require the fastest, most stable connection possible. During the day, when it is only a couple of us using the broadband, the connection is perfect, both in speed and consistency. However, in the evenings (6:30 onwards) my connection becomes very poor. I consistently have a ping of 150+ with spiked up to 500 and it very rarely goes below 100. It appears to be correlated with when the lounge tv is on.
Is anybody able to help me with this/give advice? I will of course give more information when needed.
Thank you.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi.
Is it a new ethernet cable?
I experienced something similar when I used an really old cable from old generation of ethernet, which was totally overwhelmed with these kinds of speeds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi.
Is it a new ethernet cable?
I experienced something similar when I used an really old cable from old generation of ethernet, which was totally overwhelmed with these kinds of speeds.
I have tried different ethernet cables, including higher category ones

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,770 Posts
If it's a smart TV it's drawing bandwidth. You're not only competing with other users on your router, but all users in the neighborhood, particularly if you're in an apartment type building. Your ping rate is never going to be satisfactory for high end games. If this is really important, and you're willing to pay the price, another ISP might be the answer since you say you have the top package from your current carrier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts