Tech Support banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three browsers but was searching Google for - Best Browsers - an one rated Vivaldi at the top, so I though I would try it.

But the install did not go as planned. It seemed to install. Though I didn't notice until later - No Desktop Icon (shortcut), No Menu Items, and No Install/Uninstall.

The program is there, and I ran it once, after that my computer really was running at a snail's pace, to the point of virtually unusable. I did download directly from the Software Deveolper's Website, so low, but not no, likelihood of a virus.

Is there any software or any means of killing this install when it is not in the Uninstall Software list?

My system is pretty basic -

Dell with i5 6th Gen, 8Gb, Win-10.

I had previously had a hard drive crash, and was unable to recover my data. I replaced the HD, re-installed Window 10 and my Browsers and other software. Everything was working fine until I installed Vivaldi.

There are a few things I can try to get my computer going. But for now, I'm concerned with how to Uninstall Software that is not in the Uninstall List?

Thoughts?

Steve/bluewizard

·
Registered
40,896 Posts
As stated, first try a System Restore to a time before you installed this.
If that doesn't work use a 3rd party Uninstaller like Revo Uninstaller. Use the Hunter Mode to uninstall it. Use the Advanced method to remove all traces of the program in the Registry.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
The advice from @spunk.funk is definitely the next couple of steps if a System Restore does not work (and it very well may not - this feature has been a crap shoot since its introduction).

As an aside, this incident should be classed as a fluke. Vivaldi is definitely not "fly by night" and installing it generally goes smoothly. I haven't used it in a while, but am familiar with it.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,837 Posts
Vivaldi is in Apps&Features not Programs. You should be able to uninstall it from there.

Reactions: Deejay100six

·
26,837 Posts
The OP says the app is not listed in Apps and Features (the uninstall list)
I still believe he was referring to Programs & Features. Let's wait for a reply.

·
26,837 Posts
Apps and Features, Programs and Features, Add Remove Programs, appwiz.cpl are all synonymous and get you to the same place to uninstall a program.
Apps and Features reached via "Settings" does not get you to the same place as Programs & Features in the CP.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
If you're trying to uninstall Vivaldi, and it's not showing up in CP->Programs and Features, then something has gone horribly wrong, and something like Revo will become necessary.

But getting rid of the software will either occur through Programs and Features (whether you get there via CP or going to Apps & Features and using the Programs and Features link at the upper right) or a third-party uninstaller utility if nothing happens to be in Programs and Features.

·
26,837 Posts
If you compare the contents of Programs and Features to that of Apps and Features they're similar but not all the same. Vivaldi says the default location is Apps and Features.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
@Corday, you of all people should know that if anything is installed that it will show in BOTH Settings, Apps & Features (generally with an uninstall option) and Programs and Features in Control Panel. This is my point. Without further comment:

Viv_in_Apps_&_Features_button_pressed.jpg

Viv_in_Pgms_&_Features.jpg

But if it's showing up in neither after the installer has run, then something went very, very wrong.

·
26,837 Posts
Even discounting the Microsoft ones which are bundled in Apps, I have quite a few differences.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sorry it took me so long to get back to this. I did not have System Restore engaged, though I need to figure out how to do that.

I will try some of the suggested Tips and if that doesn't work, I will start trying 3rd Party Uninstallers.

The more I think about it, the more I think it was a Bad Install of Vivaldi. As mentioned, I had a hard drive crash and bought a new hard drive and started re-installing my programs. Everything was installed and working fine, though sadly I lost all my data. And I think it ran fine after installing Vivaldi ...until... I actually ran Vivaldi and then it slowed to a crawl.

The computer does work and I can get on line, but it takes forever to get anything done. I was so frustrated with fighting with it that I bought a new (close out $199, Rysen 3) computer, just so I could have something to work with.

I had just got done wrestling with the computer for a couple of weeks, then every thing was fine, then everything was NOT ... infuriating.

Thanks for the software Remover suggestions.

Steve/bluewizard

·
Registered
40,896 Posts
Once you get your computer running correctly, if you still have your crashed hard drive, you can attach it one of your working computers with a USB Adapter, Dock or Enclosure. The data might be there an accessible to copy to that computer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts