Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I started having the Inaccessible Boot Device error after I installed a new memory RAM on my laptop ASUS x501A running Windows 10. After installation, I got a BSOD but windows was able to boot after restart. Everything worked fine. I installed new software after that (Spybot and another one that disable bad startup registry-can't recall the name of that one). Everything worked fine until the PC froze. I left it for 5 minutes, but it was still frozen. I had to turn it off (pushing the power button) then on. Here is where I got the inaccessible boot device screen and tried everything suggested on the web with no luck. Reinstalled my old RAM, running automatic repair, modifying BIOS, Chkdsk, SFC, downloaded windows 10 installation on a USB flash drive, and many more.
1. I can't boot into safe mode (I get the same BSOD after selecting safe mode option#4)
2. I can access CMD. From CMD I ran notepad and then tried to open a new file (to check if the HHD is readable); I was able to see all my files and the windows files, and I am able to create/copy/paste files through notepad's [open-file] window. However I am getting really frustrated with this issue. I have a lot of programs installed and don't want to try a clean install.
Any help would be appreciated...
Thank you in advance.
MA

·
Registered
40,732 Posts
Put in one stick of the new RAM and not any others.
On another computer download the ISO image for Memtest and burn the image to CD using IMGBurn both in my signature. Or use the Auto Installer for USB key To burn to USB Flash Drive. Boot off the newly created media and run the tests for at least 7 passes each on each stick of RAM separately. If you get any errors in the lower pane, (red) that stick is bad or incompatible and needs to be replaced.
If all sticks test good,
Then run the HDD Diagnostic. Download the ISO image for Seatools and burn it to CD using IMGBurn or USB Flash with SeaFlash all in my signature. Boot off of the newly created media and run the Short and Long tests on the HDD, if either test fails, the HDD needs to be replaced.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.