Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I upgraded my system to a Core 2 Duo processor running on an Asus board with a Radeon x1950 pro graphics card, followed by a clean install of Windows XP 64 bit. I have been able to play graphics intensive games like Counterstrike Source on full settings without any kind of performance issues. However, when I load up some MP3's in winamp to play while i'm fragging, all of a sudden I get considerable amounts of lag and choppiness. I close out of Winamp, everything is nice and smooth again. My sound card is an Audigy 2 ZS, in case you were wondering.

I find this to be unusual because before I settled with XP I tried out Vista to see what it was like. While using Vista, I was able to play CS flawlessly on the highest settings while simultaneously playing an MP3 in winamp. Basically, in either case the only differences in my setup have been the OS and the drivers. I might add that most of the drivers I was using with vista were beta. I honestly don't see what could be the problem. I have more than enough resources to be able to handle high performance gaming while playing a simple MP3. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are the detailed specs:

Power Supply – Antec True Power 550w, Three 12v rails.
Motherboard – Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe, LGA 775
CPU – Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, LGA 775, 2.4Ghz
RAM – Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800Mhz, 1.5GB
Video Card – ATI Stock Radeon x1950pro
Hard Drive(s) – 2x Maxtor 300gb SATA in RAID0
Operating System: Windows XP x64
Sound Card: Creative Audigy 2 ZS

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mp3 issues

I agree with pharoah perhaps trying to put two ram sticks either the same size or put perhaps the same make would do so.

·
Registered
207 Posts
you could also try playing your mp3's with a different (smaller footprint) program. foobar2000 sounds fantastic and uses very little resources... but it's far from pretty (at least, without customization) and nowhere near as user-friendly as winamp.

just a suggestion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.