Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I play the old Starfleet Command (SFC1) with my wife over our LAN. It worked fine for the longest time. Recently, I upgraded my ancient P2-400 with a new ASUS P4G8X motherboard and a P4-2.4 GHz processor. On my old mobo I had a 10/100 Netgear FA310 Ethernet card and everything was peachy. My new mobo has an onboard Broadcom Netxtreme gigabit ethernet, so I'm using that.

Since then, I can see her machine on the network, and she can see mine. We both have access to our cable modem via a Linksys BEFSR41 router same as before. But now for some reason, I am unable to play SFC LAN games with her. I can see her game when she hosts, and she can see mine when I host, but when we try to join one another's game, it tells us Joining Game In Progress and then just hangs there for maybe 30 seconds, then fails to connect.

The odd thing is, another friend of mine comes over once in a while and hooks up his laptop to my router to play as well. When he does, she and he can play together without a problem, just like the old days, but I can't connect to either of them, and neither of them can connect to me.

When I first upgraded, I wasn't able to get the new onboard ethernet working, so I installed my old card and drivers. I wasn't able to connect to her or him that way, so I finally got my onboard ethernet working and took the old card out, same problem. So I grabbed the newest drivers for my onboard thinking that might solve the problem but nothing doing. It's odd, as like I said, everything else network related works 100% perfectly.

I've exhausted all my knowledge in that area, I was wondering if anyone else had any new ideas of what might be causing the problem all of a sudden.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Router

I've had such a problems with a Billiards game

To allow DX-based games your settings should allow:

1) 47624 TCP Outbound (for initial connection)
2) 2300-2400 TCP both Inbound & Outbound (for subsequent connections)
3) 2300-2400 UDP both Inbound & Outbound

I've got that somewhere on internet and don't know if this will for for all network games...

Rita Brown

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.