Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have this case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103011

I have this video card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...83&cm_re=sapphire_5870-_-14-102-883-_-Product

The video card gets up to 88c in the furmark stress test then plateaus. (it didnt used to, in fact it was 91c and climbing at one point until i "repositioned" it) I realize this is during a heatwave, and i realize my case might not be the best for cooling....

I cant risk putting an aftermarket cooler on the GPU because my last two vid cards ended up burning out by doing that. I cannot at this time afford a better case either (unless you know of one thats better for around $50 hah!)

So i was hoping someone here could tell me good way to keep my GPU's temp down. If you look on the Win7 forums or the Video card forums you will see it has caused me many BSOD's so its very important that i find a cost effective way to keep this video card in good shape via the cases cooling.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you for your time.

Attachments

· TSF Team, Emeritus
57,145 Posts
Allo Krayton :wave:

Do you have a rear fan blowing the hot air out or a front fan sucking air in?

I've always been wary of relying on side-fans, ever since I accidentally disconnected my 80mm fan and found my temps drop by approx 3-5C (In some instances it can disrupt the smooth airflow from front to back, even to the point of causing local 'hot-spots').

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no i do not :( . I provided a link above if youd like to take a look at the case. Theres no way to put a fan in the front but i could attach one in the back to get rid of the hot air.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no i do not :( . I provided a link above if youd like to take a look at the case. Theres no way to put a fan in the front but i could attach one in the back to get rid of the hot air.
*edit* why i mentioned the link above is because i have not added any extra cooling. The case is stock so therefore, its like the pictures in the link :)

**double edit** annnnd i quoted instead editing : /

· TSF Team, Emeritus
57,145 Posts
Fitting a rear 80mm fan to suck the hot air out of the back of the PC will certainly help drop the temps - There's a wide range available (with/without LED's, noise, amount of air shifted etc.), but stick with the well-known brands for reliability (Arctic Cooling, Antec etc.).

Adding a strategically placed PCI-Slot cooler will also help remove excess heat too, something like these, although do shop around cos there's a huge range available, mainly varying in noise and amount of air moved.

Most of the above-mentioned coolers will run off a spare 'Molex' plug (As used for IDE HDD/CD/DVD drives) :smile:

· Registered
567 Posts
One rather silly question: Have you blown out the heat sink lately? Those Sapphire really don't need an aftermarket cooler, iirc. Only grump about that cooler design is it doubles as a case heater.

Another thing you could try: Pull off the heat sink (4 screws, very easy..and you can do a good job of cleaning the heatsinks at the same time) and clean off the existing thermal paste, then apply Arctic Silver in its place. I have the same card, 5850 flavor, in my son's machine. I did that before I even installed it. Torture tests at about 54c (FurMark/3DMark) with max (non-indexed) clocks.

I am assuming those monster fans are intake, and I believe the empty fan grill on the back will accept a 140mm, buy a high-CFM (look for 60+ CFM)140mm and install it as an exhaust (measure it just in case it only takes 120mm). Should help a lot.

Edit*

Also open up Catalyst and just make sure you didn't accidentally set the fan to manual and some absurdly low speed. Best bet would be to turn on manual and run it at about 70-75% fan speed when gaming/

· Registered
25,266 Posts
I too think you should get a large fan in the back to suck hot air out of the case and a front fan to pull in cool air. Those monster fans on the side have to be pulling cool air in to the case to be effective...and get this, if you put a front intake and rear blowing out (sucking hot air out of the case)....get this, the side fans must not be running fast, or they disrupt the natural air flow from front to back which is most effective. If of course you don't have those fans which I think you need, then those side fans must be running on a higher speed......just not with the auxilliary fans we have all discussed.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well i got a 80mm fan to suck the hot air out the back, and i got a slot cooler that shoots air up into the graphics cards direction.

I had to lay it on the floor of the case though because the only decent setup for my hardware is Videocard, blank slot, blank slot (which equals about 2.5inches altogether), sound card, 2 pci slots, floor (with vga cooler).

The vga cooler doesnt push air into the fan of the video card completely because the sound cards blocking it buuuut its pretty close? lol

Results (thanks to everyones help on SEVERAL forums!):

Beginning (poorly positioned and little airflow) -
Idle temp (62c), Furmark (91c and climbing, sooo i shut it off)

Middle (repositioning where the video card was) -
Idle temp (58c), Furmark (88c and temp leveled off, it also ran for twice as long as the original Furmark)

End (Added back fan to get hot air out and VGA fan on floor of case) -
Idle temp (53c), Furmark (86c, temp leveled off and it ran 43 seconds longer than the second where it was 88c)

Thank you all for such wonderful help! Someday when im richer id like to get this though :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119138

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.