Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for a couple of days now i've been trying to install the update for vista (32bit) KB942763. however every time i try to install it, i get the error 80070643. i've gone through the troubleshooting tips, still doesn't work. i've even tried downloading it from the microsoft site and installing it manually, but still nothing. any ideas?

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,258 Posts
Hi Desmodus

You could:

1) Ignore the failed update for a while & expect a patched update to fix it in a week or so, or -->

2) Try shutting off the Windows Update service, clearning WU temp files, and then restarting the WU service, as in the Microsoft procedure quoted below:
To stop the Windows Update service
(You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps).
1. Open Administrative Tools --- by clicking Start, Control Panel, System and Maintenance, and then Administrative Tools.
2. Double-click Services. Administrator permission required. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
3. Right-click the Windows Update service, and then click Stop.

To delete temporary update files
1. Open Computer --- by clicking Start, and then clicking Computer.
2. Double-click the local hard disk where Windows is installed, typically drive C.
3. Double-click the Windows folder, and then double-click the SoftwareDistribution folder.
4. Double-click the DataStore folder to open it, and then delete all files and folders in the folder. Administrator permission required. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
5. Click the Back button. In the SoftwareDistribution folder, double-click the Download folder to open it, and then delete all files in the folder. Administrator permission required. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

To restart the Windows Update service
(You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps).
1. Open Administrative Tools --- by clicking Start, Control Panel, System and Maintenance, and then Administrative Tools.
2. Double-click Services. Administrator permission required. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
3. Right-click the Windows Update service, and then click Start.

3) Peruse the details of the Update, in case you have are using one of the programs that require extra steps for this time-zone update to work properly: --- http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=942763 --- links to direct downloads for the various flavors of the update are also available from that KB article.

4) Use the System Restore feature of Vista to restore your system files to a state prior to the installation of the latest patches, and try again.

If you have success with any of these, post back with your results so that other folks experiencing the same trouble can benefit from your solutions.
Thanks!

Best of luck
. . . Gary

·
Registered
9 Posts
Click Start/Shut Down/ the scroll arrow... is there an: Install Updates blah blah blah option? If so, option 1 may really help you.

1. Download & run CCleaner-- adding a custom folder in settings. First do a search in Users\your user name\app data for all temp folders(include subfolders in Search)... add to CC options... and as well make sure the setting Only Delete files older than 48 hours is NOT selected. Do this even if that ShutDown entry is not present.

2. Look in Control Panel/Programs Performance to see if it's listed... uninstall.

3. Try to download manually and install it click this

Good luck, let us know...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.