Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DO NOT let windows update dl and instal drivers for hardware devices such as video cards, sound cards automatically. If it detects an update for a device, go download it from the manufacturers website directly, (nvidea users, nvidea has a nice little auto-detect feature on their site so you cant get the wrong driver). only let windows update dl and install updates for microsoft products only.

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, MVP
34,403 Posts
Very lucky & fortunate... I don't ever recall having problems with Windows Updates on any Vista or Windows 7 system here. Don't exactly know why.

Most systems here originally Vista, one XP Pro, but now all run Windows 7.

All have Intel chipsets, NVIDIA or onboard Intel graphics; Realtek or IDT audio; all Intel wifi; Intel or Realtek NIC.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
1,835 Posts
I have only had problems with the graphics drivers from Microsoft updates, but those problems were very extensive. I don't allow them any more. Going to the card's manufacturer or the motherboard manufacturer's (if onboard video) website is much better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've seen Network driver problems several times, Windows Update classes Network Drivers as Important and strongly recommends installing the update.
Doing so then causes the Network Card to stop working luckily the solution is simple Roll Back the relevant driver and ignore the warning about the update in future.

·
Premium Member
19,891 Posts
I will always recommend using the oem driver from the computer manufacturer. Though microsoft drivers may work, there might be conflicts with other devices on the computer where the oem driver takes care of the conflict. small differences can have big consequences.

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,755 Posts
Hi, we have always (for as long as I can remember) recommended that windows update not be used for anything other then OS updates (even office updates are system admin), of course since MS recognized there OS is not perfect (took awhile) they have included security utilities these should be automatically updated. If you have not had a problem then good luck to you, however you will only need one instance and you will learn. Always use the manufacturers update, MS updates are very often well behind the developers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.