Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I re-formatted a friend's HP laptop's hard drive. He asked me to install Windows 98 se. Everything went great until I received the setup detection message SU0013. Setup cannot create files on your startup drive and cannot set up Windows 98. If you have HPFS or NTFS, you must create an MS-DOS boot partition. ...

Well here's what I've done after searching the net for a day and seeing the advice others were given with the same problem...

I've made sure that I have created an MS-DOS boot partition with fdisk... at least 5 times. I've gone back and checked and it shows it there. I've tried it by enabling large disk support and also tried it by disenabling large disk support.

My display partition information reads
Partion Status Type Volume Label Mbytes System Usage
C: 1 A Pri Dos 19077 FAT16 100%

Everything checks well. I've formatted with "FORMAT C:"
and everything looks like it should work... and then....... ERROR SU0013......... help me somebody please... before I go insane!!!

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
cutstock said:
...My display partition information reads
Partion Status Type Volume Label Mbytes System Usage
C: 1 A Pri Dos 19077 FAT16 100%....
You need to use fat32 for the c: partition. FAT16 can only go up to 2GB. Run fdisk again and select yes when it asks you to enable large disk support. Then delete the partition and re-create. Now it should be FAT32. Format and you are ready to go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zvalkor!!!!

You are the MAN!!!! (or woman!!!) Thank you so much. My insanity is desolving and I'm turning back into the sane man I once knew two days ago.

Much appreciated and kutos to you and this awesome board!

:winkgrin:

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
:D Man, Im going out on a limb here but Im gonna say that Zvalkor's a man.. :D

Im getting this well because he's hitting on the Peach and all the other girls here -- so Im just kinda hoping .... ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.