Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My LCD monitor is washed out with when I use the DVI out on my video card. Has anyone seen this problem before? Could this be problem with my card or is it most likely my cable? The display is red rigth from the boot screen.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
That is really strange with DVI as it is a digital signal. Try another cable or if possible another monitor.

What kind of DVI cable are you using (DVI-D, DVI-I, etc.)? Does it work with VGA?

·
Registered
25 Posts
My x1650 has a simlar problem, I can't get it to work on DVI but VGA does work... (using a DVI-I cable and a MW221u Asus monitor - which does work on DVI with another card)

·
Registered
25 Posts
It might still be a cable compatibility issue. Try a DVI-D cable if possible.
OK, my radeon suggests I should use a DVI-I which is what I've got.. But what exactly would changing the cable do? I know that DVI-I cable works with the monitor, as it was working with my old card and that monitor.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
DVI-I will be transmitting an analog signal along with a digital signal, and my guess is that some monitors don't react well to that. I have seen one case where the monitor completely wouldn't detect the signal with a DVI-I cable but worked fine with a DVI-D cable.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My apologies I am using a DVI-D...

I have since tried it on a different monitor, which is only 17" and the desktop and .avi's worked ok, but games wouldn't. There would be no signal input...
This is compared to the 22" where at 1680 res the desktop and vids don't work properly.

Which leads me to ask, is it my PSU - but the only way this could make sense is if DVI uses a lot more power than VGA???? (because VGA works fine at huge res in games on the 22"....??)

Your help is appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi mate,

ABIT NF7 v2.0
AMD Athlon XP 2800+
2GB DDR400
Antec SL300S PSU
HIS ATI Radeon X1650 Pro AGP
ASUS MW221u 22" LCD
2x DVD burners
1x Floppy
TV Tuner
Wireless PCI network card
2x IDE HDD
Numerous external devices on USB

I'm being told a few different things, the people I bought it from have told me to do an RMA cuz they reckon there must be a prob with the DVI port; others have said there's a known problem with X1650 compatibility when using DVI; others say PSU... I'm confused!!

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah, but I guess the question is would that make this happen and only with DVI not VGA or is it more likely a problem with the DVI port on the card?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.