Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
STILL Stuck in a treestand....
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like for everyone who reads this to read the whole thing before exiting so that there will be no question on what I’m about to say. The other day I got into a heated battle with John Will over hubs, crossover cables, and strait cables. In threads he had written before this post I felt like he was trying to be a know it all and a smart a$$. However after going back and reading a lot of his post from the past I’m not so sure that it was right for me to think that way. All of you that know me here, know that I do not get offensive unless I feel like I’m being pushed or feel like someone is being a smart a$$.
Well after going threw some of John’s post I decided to look into what he was saying. With all of my training and job knowledge I have never came across what he was saying. And on another note it was never stressed in any networking classes I had. I knew there were several types of hubs and have never been trained to do it the way he was talking about. Well I spent about 4 hours last night researching what John said to see if he was right. I did this not to prove him wrong but with the understanding that I do not know everything and that I was wrong to judge his knowledge just because he has no certifications listed in his profile. For this I am sorry and ask that you forgive my rudeness.
Now here’s what I found. While I was right about running crossover cables from the uplink to the standard port when connecting two hubs. You can also connect certain hubs with a strait cable. This holds true for about 75% of the hubs out there. And even though it was not brought up on most hubs you cannot connect the uplink to port 1 with a crossover cable. Hubs read data in a reverse order than the computer and if the uplink is reversing the information that means by switching the cables around inside of the connections of the rj45 jacks the computer can receive it right. Thus making a crossover cables the choice to connect the uplink to a standard port. Which also allows you to add more hubs.
**** However if you run a strait threw cable between two hubs like John spoke of and use a crossover cable to the computer this means John Will is also right.
John, I never said I knew everything and never said you were an idiot, however I did say that if I didn’t know something I’d at least research it before I gave advice on it. So after realizing I needed to practice what I preached that’s what I did. Believe me when I say I’m sorry for judging you and I researched this to prove you right and not wrong. I only got bent out of shape when I saw you question a couple of us and felt that you were being a smart a$$. After reading several of your post over and over I feel I was wrong about that also. Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part.

·
STILL Stuck in a treestand....
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it's like this, everyone who read the post I'm sure saw us going at each other and I have no problem saying I'm wrong when I see that I was. The only reason I got mad and jumped him was because of the way I felt he was saying things. But I feel I was wrong there also. I hope he'll understand where I was coming from. I also want everyone to see if your wrong, it's best to put your pride beside you and do what's right.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Well, I have no need to nurse a grudge, so I say we call it a draw and move on. :)

The whole thing started when I made a joke about connecting hubs, which was just intended to be just that, a joke. I didn't even expect a response, and I was way unprepared for the response I got! I guess Drupy and I have one thing in common, when we think someone is being a smarta$$, we come on strong.

I think no useful purpose is served by beating a dead horse, we both stepped over the line, and I'll promise to attempt to hold my tongue in the future. Peace. :angel:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.