Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
:confused: uh?

I understand this was a statement but are you planning on elaborating or ... just trying to hop your post count up. :no:

Because personally this thread isn't doing anything for me yet .. :)

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Ok, now you've got your post count up .. now make this thread mean somthing or else :gun: :guns: thread. :D

·
Lacoka Nostra
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chil, take a chill pill.... whats wrong with you

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I had a bad taco ? :D

Nothings wrong with me but if your gonna start a topic in XP and not general chat, you should try to make your posts relavent (sp?) to XP.

·
Lacoka Nostra
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aint nothing like a bad taco. But for real is XP realy stable if
you can tell me some good things about it....

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Its the most stable software put out buy Microsoft to date, it has not blue screened for me yet. People say it hogs resources but it no worse than any other OS IMHO. It does have some rather nasty security holes "right out of the box" that need to be fixed via patches ASAP.

It was my OS of choice up until about 3 weeks ago, Im now liking RedHat 7.3 allot more. But you need an MS OS if your gonna game, since I dont .. no problem -- but thats not the case with everyone.:D XP's my pick for MS users because it offers Win2k's stability with Win98Se's game play ability.

Thats just my 2 cents on the matter.

·
Lacoka Nostra
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can people hack easly on XP. And do Xp hide files like (index.dat)
if you like redhat linux 7.3 then you would like redhat 8.0
I had redhat linux 7.0

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
index.dat is hidden by default and marked system so it cannot be deleted easily. It can be done however.

As far as hacking ... you will need a firewall and antivirus software not having either can easily lead to an exploited system. Be it direct port attack or backdoor programs that have infected your system calling out.

Redhat 8.0: I tried to get the iso's but it appears half the planet is on the ftp servers so no luck yet. I like 7.3 anyway dont really want a drastic chage. Im suprised you liked 7.0 redhat, I heard it was plagued with kernel problems and was the worse redhat release to date ? Any truth in that?

·
Lacoka Nostra
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I learned linux on redhat 7.0, like people learn on mandrake. but so far I like redhat better then mandrake....

·
Lacoka Nostra
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is XP, easy to move around and do things......

·
Registered
95 Posts
At first I didnt like XP but I really wanted to try something else. Now I have been on it for about a month and I really like it. If your computer is a little older make sure you check out the HCL on MSofts site though to make sure everything will work with XP. Maybey check to make sure your programs are XP compatible also, lots of manufactures released patches to make their programs work but others just want you to upgrade to the new version and give them more money. Thats when I turned to Kazaa Lite.

When I installed XP on my Dell thats a year old my Direct CD burning software wasnt compatible, my Norton AntiVirus 2001 wasnt compatible, and my printer software wasnt compatible. Three pretty important things that I use quite often, werent compatible, and that didnt leave me feeling very happy to start out. However, I traked down some newer and XP compatible versions and now everything has been running pretty darn well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.