Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, my PC got some spyware/viruses on it, one of which was a 'BloodHound' or something.

Anyway, after that, when I opened up Internet Explorer, instead of bringing up my homepage, it said that my PC was infected and that 'they' new my IP address, my ISP, and could view my 'C' drive. Immediately after that I did a full system restore, brining my PC back to how it was when I got it. But I'm still really concerned about that message. Can people still view my PC's contents? I'm really nervous about doing pretty much anything on-line with this PC now. What should I do?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned at all. It's just scare tactics. If you have a router or a firewall installed (and you should nowadays), just focus on removing the infection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already did a full system restore. Would that have taken care of it?

Also, I'm not that good in choosing security software. Out of all the FireWalls and Aniti-Virus/Spy-Ware programs, which ones are best?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
All the information on what products to use can be found by searching the HijackThis forum. I believe there is also a thread concerning the Bloodhound malware you are having problems with. You might want to follow it.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
When you say you did a "full system restore" was this from a disk or restore partition from the computer manufacturer? Or was it a Windows System Restore to a point a few days or weeks in the past. About your other question here are some tips and porgrams to keep your computer clean:

Make sure to get the latest updates for Windows and Internet Explorer at Microsoft Update Site.

A good virus scanner is a necessity in today's computer environment. Many virus scanners include active components that protect you from infection without even running a scan. Some good free antivirus programs include:
AVG Free
Avast! Home Edition
AntiVirhttp://www.free-av.com

A firewall is the first line of defense standing between the internet and your computer. Some good free firewalls are:

Zone Alarm
Kerio
Sygate

Adaware SE and Spybot SD are a pair of anti-spyware scanners that should be run every week or two. Although there is some overlap there are many pieces of malware that is caught by one of these and not the other, therefore it is recommended you use both to compliment each other. Spybot also contains two other useful pieces. The first is "Immunize", this helps protect your computer against known exploits. The second is "TeaTimer", with this feature enabled you will recieve notifications of all changes to the registry such as programs adding themselves to start-up and you default search page being changed.

Spyware Blaster is a powerful tool that prevents "drive-by" downloads and other unwanted installations. It also uses no system resources, run it once and you're all set. Spyware Guard Is a realtime protection engine to guard your computer from spyware. This program does for spyware what an antivirus program does for viruses.

IE-Spyad is a program that only needs to be run once to protect you from many malicious sites. It adds domains of known adware companies into the Restricted List of Internet Explorer, preventing them from performing malicious actions on your PC.

Together these programs form a powerful barrier between the Internet and your computer. However, all the programs stand alone and feel free to eliminate any you are not comfortable with. Any protection you add to your PC is better than no protection at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.