Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all-

I am having a serious problem with AOL (don't laugh, if it weren't my parents' choice, I wouldn't have it right now). I have Windows 98SE running on a newer Gateway, and after every boot, it says "msnp32.dll was not found, the following services will not be operable: Microsoft Networking"

Whenever I try to connect using version 7.0, It dials, connects (but doesn't load anything), and then starts over for reasons unknown. After dialing for the second time, it pauses for about 5 seconds, and then gives me an "Illegal operation in module <unknown>" Heres tht thing though. If I use the last 16-bit version of AOL (4.0), It does everything fine, except for that Javascript does not work along with flash (and about any other plugin). I can't even post to this site.

When I try to use internet explorer to get to webistes, it only says "Action Cancelled". This is not only with AOL, though. I tried dialing into Gateway's support server and it automatically loads IE, but still, only "Action Cancelled"

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled all of my network adapters and uninstalled and reinstalled AOL to no avail.

This problem began before the msnp32.dll problem started.

Thanks in advance for you reply.

·
Watching from the shadows
1,143 Posts
Personally I would completely uninstall AOL and then reinstall it you may have a glich in the program.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
...and if that doesnt work, try uninstall/reinstall dialup networking and network support from add/remove...

HTH

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I reinstalled Dialup networking, but I couldn't find network support. Where is this inside of Add/Remove Programs?

Also, I checked AOL's log file and all the times corresponding to an attempted AOL 7.0 logon turned up the file modem.ctt, which may use msnp32.dll, I'm not sure. But I think I finally figured out why AOL 4.0 works while the others don't: My hypothesis is that since AOL 4.0 is 16-bit, and msnp32.dll is a 32 bit dynamic link library, 4.0 doesn't use it. Would I be right in saying this?

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Might this be a problem with the registry?

If so, should I restore a older registry file (I probably have a few backups since I have run registry scan products in the past that save backups)?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Click the Network icon on the Control Panel to access the installed Clients/Protocols etc... It is here that you add/remove TCP/IP and all others. Just remove it first, restart pc, then install(add) it back then restart again. That msnp32.dll problem should go away.

Did you know that you could restart Windows without restarting the pc by holding down the shift key while doing a restart?

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, here's an update:

I followed all of your directions, deleted all of my network adapters and reinstalled every single one. The msnp32.dll problem continued until I searched my registry and found that the value that points to the file was missing. After adding that value, I restarted, and the "missing file" error went away. This is good, but the problem still exists (I am still working in a 16-bit, javaless version of aol). Any other suggestions?

for the record, I have already uninstalled and reinstalled aol, so I am almost certain that it is a system file at fault here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fox:

Take note that there's a difference between 'network adapters' and 'network components'.

Network adapters are located in the Device Manager (e.g. Dial-up Adapter, Microsoft VPN adapter etc...)

Network components are located in the 'Network' link (icon) located in the Control Panel (e.g. TCP/IP, NetBEUI, IPX/SPX etc...)

Now one of those things listed in the Network components listing is not installed correctly. I can't remember what but just list down everything, delete them then add them back (need Win98SE CD for this one) Note:You need only install a protocol once - it will automatically 'attach' itself to all 'network adapters you have'.

I'm 99% sure on this one.

NOTE: But now that you modified the registry you might need to restore from a previous date. I don't know...

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Personally I would completely uninstall AOL and then reinstall it
Personally, I'd just completely unstall AOL, and leave it at that! :) There are ISPs that cost half what they charge, NetZero comes to mind. It's pointless to make those blood suckers rich, they don't deserve it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.