Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hello in the middle of a new build though I have followed the teams Desk bench method.
the only things I have on are the CPU Heatsink/fan, 1 stick RAM (which i swapped for another stick), Graphic card and keyboard (I only have 1 PS/2 port)and monitor.

I power on the system ..the fans on the cpu, graphic card and PSU works,
I have a green light on the MB, the monitor will turn on but goes immediately into stand--by ( I know you say Monitor must have power active but I am not sure about thi.

The graphic cards instructions were rubbish but what I have is two 6 pin PCI E plugged into 2 sockets on the top of the card. there was also a spdif internal cable which i've plugged into the top of the card and connected 2 single sockets to mobo pins. these pins are laid out so

I_II the first pin is marked SPDIF(and I have not plugged anything onto it) and then a space and then the next two pins are marked OUT to which I have connected two single plugs(on to each)...I thnk these are to do with sound...butwould be good to know if I was putting them in the right place .

I replaced stock paste on heatsink with Artic silver 5 on CPU.

Can you guess where I should start trouble shooting ? AS i said this isn't assembled in the case yet.

specs of the items used so far are:
Asus M3N-HD/HDMI, Socket-AM2+
nForce 750a SLI, ATX, 2xPCI-Ex(2.0)x16

1,00 PCS Gainward GeForce GTX 260 896MB PhysX PCI-Express 2.0, "Golden Sample", 2xDVI, HDCP, Core 216, 55nm,

Corsair Dominator TWIN2X PC8500 4GB DDR2
Kit w/2x 2GB XMS2-8500 dimm's, CL5-5-5-15, 1066MHz, E.P.P, DHX

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition
125W, AM2+, 8MB Cache, 3,0Ghz, Boxed

Cooler Master Dominator 690

850W Corsair CMPSU-850TXEU

thanks for any thoughts

ps monitor is dell 19" Lcd

hello I since my post taken out the RAM and graphic card heat-sink...I have cleaned the cpu and heatsink with Isopropyl alcohol and I will use the "blob in the middle only" method to "apply" the artic silver 5...
Will see what happens soon...but i suspect I'll get the same results...

I am using two 6 pin pciE connectors on the one GTX 260 and connecting the monitoer by a DVI cable (monitor goes into sleep however when I conneted it using a Sub 15 pin DVI I did get the Dell "digital self test feature".

I have one 24pin main power supply connection and I have seperated a 8 socket connector so to use 4 on the other supply socket..rAM WAS IN THE RIGHT SOCKET..ALSO TRIED WITH 2 STICKS WHICH ARE sisde by side on this mobo.. I have only one PS2 so can't connect both keyboard and mouse...so not sure whats wrong...Crickey I've yet to get onto the HD and DVD's etc.... :)

All together now..." Always look on the bright side of life..dumDum du dum de dum de dum ,. always...........

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,106 Posts
You should have a 24 pin main power plug and a 4 pin CPU which divided in 2 if the PSU has a EPS 4+4 Pin connector 2 Yellow and 2 Black wires, make sure you have the correct half plugged in(it shouldn't make a difference but I have seen the wrong half not fit correctly).
If this is an older M3N board it may have an early bios for the PII 940 you need 1502 although with AMD they will usually boot at the wrong speed.

For now disconnect the SPIDF cable from the video card and the motherboard if it boots wen can find the correct hook up later.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thaks for the reply wrench97...I have since the post ...disconnected the few items that were connected and cleaned the CPU and heatsink..I have tried with both halves of the original 8 socket connector...ie I have tried both halves. The sdif is discounted . The mobo box states "support AMD3" if this gives any indication as to the actual bios version ? I turn on the MoBo by having the chasis ON/OFF button connected.....Do I need to connect the casefan for the PC to boot to bios ?

Any surgestions as to the likely culprit much appreciated....I only have one PS2 port so I CAN ONLY CONNECT a keyboard and not a mouse...I believe that at this early stage with no drivers that there is no usb support ?
thanks.....could it be a grounding issue ..presently Mobo sits on top of the Mobo box as in the walk-through. It is right to connect 2 PCI 6 socket connects to the GTX 260 ?...

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,106 Posts
Thaks for the reply wrench97...I have since the post ...disconnected the few items that were connected and cleaned the CPU and heatsink..I have tried with both halves of the original 8 socket connector...ie I have tried both halves. The sdif is discounted . The mobo box states "support AMD3" if this gives any indication as to the actual bios version ? It should boot the PII without a problem
I turn on the MoBo by having the chasis ON/OFF button connected.....Do I need to connect the casefan for the PC to boot to bios ? No the case fan is not needed
Any surgestions as to the likely culprit much appreciated....I only have one PS2 port so I CAN ONLY CONNECT a keyboard and not a mouse...I believe that at this early stage with no drivers that there is no usb support ? If legacy USB is enabled in the Bios then a USB KB will work on boot, but of course you can't tell until it boots.
thanks.....could it be a grounding issue ..presently Mobo sits on top of the Mobo box as in the walk-through. I don't see a grounding issue if it is out of the case.
It is right to connect 2 PCI 6 socket connects to the GTX 260 ?..Yes
Have you tried removing the video card and using the integrated video?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I this automatically enabled if no video card is detected? if you know whaT I mean.
:)
and Ok to connect the monitor in this situation do I use the ribbon cabled 15 pin d-sub that I assume plugs imnto the vga slot ?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the dell monitor has both the 15 pin sub co9nnection and teh DVI...I am connecting the GTX 260 to the slot nearest the CPU ..that is the blue full blooded 16x pcie slot

thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
With the onboard graphics (ie GTX260 NOT installed) I can enter the BIOS...(sounds like a film title)..using the HDMI port

PHOENIX_AWARD BIOS ( don't know which version )
I have run the PC with 2x2048 sticks of RAM installed and nothing else at this point.
Over an half hour period the temps were :
CPU start 32C Finish 35C M/B start 27C Finish 33C
RAM is showing as Installed Memory 4096 Usable 3839
Processor is recognised

In Chipset Hybrid Support is [disabled] which I assume is ok(is this enabled if you get another graphic card and run in SLI )
Onboard GPU [Auto] which indicates that it uses onboard graphics unless a graphic card is detected...so I guess thats ok.
Primary Disaplay Adapter is set to [PCI-E]

PCIPnP
Plug & Play O/S is set to [NO]

V.core volt 1.42v , 3.3 volt 3.32v , 5v 4.94 to 4.91
12v 12.09v
Cpu Fan speed 600 rpm...is this right speed. I ask because it states Warning...CPU SPEED 600 ..I'am guessing that you enter a speed here and then it will warn you if your fan drops below this?

If I don't press del to enter BIOS then "Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter"
which I guess is normal.

At this stage can we say its a Graphic card problem then. Or is there anything else I should try first. Any point try the card in the Black PCIe slot which I believe is the Hybrid slot (running at X8)?
LASTLY any point in clearing CMos in this situation ?
thanks for the help

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
dai/wrench97 ..i've set pnp to [yes] re-installed the card but still no output to monitor that remains in stand-by.
Should I leave this setting? or should I change it back to (NO] ?

In Chipset Hybrid Support is [disabled] ...so should I leave this setting or should I change it...If I understand right I can't see the point of onboard running in SLI with the 260...wouldn't that slow the 260 down to the speed out the onboard GPU ?
I have tried the 260 again ...
wrench97..helo ..I am not so sure what you want me to do here...If I understand correctly its this...Iam a bit thick..
Leave the 260 attached to Mobo with cables attatched ...But not to monitor ...ok.
Connect to onboard graphics via the HDMI and connect to monitor..ok
From there monitor voltages...
BUt can't understand why I should then try 260 again...except that you probably don't know I have already re-tried it this morning ..

PS any point in me assembling this in thechasis ?
Any point clearing CMOS?

thanks again both

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts
no work on it outside until you get it booting

set it up out of the case on a piece of cardboard with
cpu
video
ram
speaker
and see if you get post
check you have the correct amount of standoffs no more no less
that they line up with the holes in the m/board
usually 9

try the cmos reset

cmos reset
turn the computer off
remove the power lead from the back
take the side off
remove the cmos battery
move the cmos jumper from pins 1 and 2 to pin 2 and 3 and the back to pins 1 and 2
reinsert the battery
put the side on
replug in the power lead
boot the computer

there can be 2 solder points you touch with a screwdriver
2 pins you touch with a screwdriver or use a jumper
a cmos clear switch or button
there will be a diagram and instructions in your manual

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hello again ...I ran the Mobo with the 260 on it but connected to onboard graphics.

volts were as follows...

taken every 5 mins...over 30 mins. v core 1.4 throughout, 3.3 V 3.3v after 5 min 3.32 throughout

thanks
5V 4.91 then after 5 mins 4.89 throughióut, 12V 12.09 throughout

Cpu temp 30C, 34,35,35,36
MB temp 25C,30,32,33,34

I clear CMOS fist by moving the jumper but no sucess ..and by removing battery and moving jumper ..no success...
Do you think I got a DOA part (I've benn very careful and used wrsit anti static strap throughout.

thanks all for help ..I have RMA'd the graphic card ..Hope next one is ok..

THANKS AGAIN

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello
One more question please..or answer, as I seem to have all the questions...hopefully I will have learn't from this.

the corsair tx 850 PSU ....Which way should it be installed in the case which has it's power supply cut out at the bottom of the case ? (CoolerMasterDomimator 690)

Should the fan be facing into the case (ie installed as it were upside down)
This would give the same configuration as it would if it was installed at the top.
The chassis does have holes in the bottom....sorry to ask so much but its hard to find answers on net.

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts
the screw holes are usually offset at the back to fit it any other way i think you would need to modify the case
personally i would never buy a case with the psu in the bottom

when it's at the top it draws hot air off the cpu and exhausts it out of the case

hot air rises

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Wrench...I went for that option...Whew!!
The PC is now running with vista 64....I didn't format or partion the HDD as i thought that windows gave you that option on a new install but it just loaded . Please remind me but if i Partition the HDD (1TB = Thinking 600GB OS and Games 1 games about 10GB to 15GB nowadays..and theres me, son aged 16, and son aged 10...so games needed to suit all needs...what do you think) will I have to re-install Vista(certainly not a problem)

LASTLY, and more important....early days yet(still got Graphic card to put in as RMA'd original) and all seems to be working ok
EXCEPT the case came with an eSATA external port..this is appears not to be recognised in BIOS and I can't test it cause i don't know what one is (storage device?)

The MB has 4 sata connection nubered 1,2,3,4 plus two further 5,6 that support AHCI mode and RAID only and it tells you to install drivers prior to connecting devices to these otherwise they won't work..
My set up is this: SATA 1=HDD , 2and 3= DVD drives, 4= eSATA (this device came with its own cable and I don,t think I can disconnect it to try another.

SHould I now leave the PC on overnight and see what happens....

Any advice welcomed..
thanks

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.