Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi :wave: , I'm new to the forum and... well, born yesterday when it comes to computers. I have an old computer and want to install a DVD burner myself.

It's a Sony Vaio PCV-RX550, runs Windows XP. It came with the CD-RW and a DVD player, but I want to install a Hammer Storage Internal 16x DVD Writer. (DVD drive by Panasonic).

Embarassingly enough, I got stumped opening the case. After I got the power supply out and removed the top and side panels of the CPU... I couldn't figure out how to even get to the DVD ROM/CD-RW drive to either replace or add to it! (Don't even know if I should replace it or add to it... or even if I can.) :4-dontkno

Feeling like a helpless chick and not wanting to! :sigh:

~G

·
Registered
224 Posts
Why would you want to remove the power supply?

You will likely need to remove one of your other removable drives, and install your new drive in that bay. Unless you have only one hard drive and, an extra (free) drive bay, and can install one of the drives as a slave on the hard drive IDE cable.

You will also need to know how set the jumpers to slave or master or cable select.

·
Registered
224 Posts
There are four screws that hold the drive in place. Two on each side of your computer. If you look for them you will find them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Almost there...

Thanks for your help with this....

I removed the power supply because the instructions for this model Vaio tells you how to so you can actually get to the the various drives (cd-rw/dvd/floppy). I do know about the slave/master thing, but haven't gotten far enough to do that part yet.

The case is such that I can't get to the other side of the computer. One side comes off... the lid removes! But getting the other side off (where the screws would be located) and the front panel off (which may or may not help) has hindered me from even finding out if I can do this.

I'm feeling inadequate here-- but I'm still trying!

Thanks,

~G

·
Registered
224 Posts
I am glad I could be of some help to you.

My experience has been that both side panels of a computer come off the same way, yours might be different, but I have not personally come across that.

Figuring those things out requires a lot of patience. I hope you succeed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.