Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peridically when running programs (no specific program) my computer locks up and checking the cntrl-alt-delete to see what's running there is an error message of Iexplorer (not responding) If I try to shut that down my whole computer locks up leaving me with no alternative but to cold boot. I'm running windows 98SE and have over 350Meg of RAM and it happens not only when I try to cruise the web but when I'm trying to run other programs as well. I've run scan disk, defragged the drive, as well as having Norton System Works running but to no avail; I continue to receive the error and have to cold boot the computer at least once or twice within an hour. Just registering for this forum took 3 coldboots and I had to bypass the hyperlink because the computer didn't like having to jump from Outlook Express to the web. Any help out there would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd thought of disabling Norton but I only reinstalled it a few days ago and it seems to have lessened the number of cold reboots from 3 or 4 per session to only one or 2. I also re-installed internet explorer just in case I had a bad version.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I usually find that IE problems are actually caused by other software or drivers but if you might want to delete it and then reinstall.

http://www.litepc.com/download.html

Download IEradicator and IE6.

Run IEradicator and connect to the net with your modem icon (you will not have a browser)...click the IE6 setup icon that you downloaded and it will connect you to MS and do a clean install of IE.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi X5dr:
Thanks for your post, I had a previous post regarding IExplorer error message that "caused a general protection fault in module user.exe etc etc etc.
I have been look for a your exact post on how to bypass internet explorer.
Thanks again.
Steven

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.