Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running Windows XP Pro w/SP2.

As far as I can tell this problem is only associated with MSN Explorer and Internet Explorer 7.

The problem started last week. While trying to watch videos on the NYTimes.com and CNN.com web pages, both sites told me I had to first install the newest Macromedia Flash Player. After following their links and visiting Adobe's website, that website told me I already had the newest version installed (i.e. version 9,0,47,0). I downloaded and reinstalled it any way, same problem.

However running the Firefox browser or the Opera browser I am able to watch videos from these sites with no problem.

Steps I have taken:

1. Uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Flash Player 9.
2. Uninstalled and reinstalled MSN Explorer.
3. Uninstalled and reinstalled IExplorer 7.

All applications are current and up to date. My PC was restarted after each reinstallation. The problem persisted.

I am also running SpyDoctor w/anti-virus, SpySweeper w/antivirus and Windows Live One Care.

Full scans were done with all these with no problems detected.

Both NYTimes.com and CNN.com are both allowed by my firewall which is Windows Defender.

Again the problem seems to be specific to these two browsers recognizing that my PC has a current version of Macromedia Flash player installed. All other features of these websites run perfectly. Firefox browser and Opera browser have no problem running videos from these websites.

Anybody have any idea on how to fix this nuisance?

·
Premium Member
19,585 Posts
go to tools - internet options - advanced tab, scroll down to multimedia and make sure anything that says play multimedia is selected - I am not currently on a windows computer so I cannot tell exactly which lines but it should be easy to figure out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
go to tools - internet options - advanced tab, scroll down to multimedia and make sure anything that says play multimedia is selected - I am not currently on a windows computer so I cannot tell exactly which lines but it should be easy to figure out.
Okay, I have tried that with no improvment. All multimedia boxes in the advanced tab of IE7 internet options are checked. Also MSN explorer settings are set to allow all cookies from nytimes.com and cnn.com at all times.

When trying to play CNN videos the following message appears:

fa9a712e-9aac-11dc-991e-c3a213a56329.jpg

which tells me that it does not detect any flash player at all.

Thanks, but Still Stumped. :4-dontkno

·
Premium Member
19,585 Posts
my only other suggestion is to try uninstalling your flash then downlload a new copy and reinstall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my only other suggestion is to try uninstalling your flash then downlload a new copy and reinstall.
Already tried that. The Flash player works fine with Firefox and Opera browsers. Tis a puzzlement. :sigh:

·
Premium Member
19,585 Posts
Already tried that. The Flash player works fine with Firefox and Opera browsers. Tis a puzzlement. :sigh:
yep you did say that in your original message. sorry about that, me getting old and forget thing too easy sometimes.

See this from adobe. apparantely there is a bug with msie 7 and flash.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Verrryy Interesting! I don't have time to check all of it out right now since I must get ready to go to work. :sad: but this looks promising since the time frame seems right. :wave:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After looking over the link from Adobe I'm not sure if it applies to me. If I am reading it correctly it seems to be taking about a bug in a delvoper's tool. However I was reading the following thread which also is about a problem between IE7 and Flash Player.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f56/ie7-flash-error-196934.html

Does anyone know if this solution will work in my case? :4-dontkno

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.