Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have IE6 on WinXP SP2, but when I open it it says "Page cannot be displayed". It can't run games that require IE to work and that kind of thing. So I tried to install IE7 but when it is unpacking and extracting "update.exe" it says something like "Specified file could not be found". Is this a known problem and is there a solution?

·
TSF Emeritus
15,079 Posts
Please do this

System File checker: sfc/ scanow

**Note: You will need A Windows XP CD for this exercise**

• Please insert the Windows XP CD into your CD/DVD drive.
  • Click Start, then Run
  • Copy and paste the command below into the text box (with out the quotation marks)
    sfc /scannow
  • Click Ok
  • During the scan you may be asked to Insert the A Windows XP CD, if this happens just click retry and let it do its thing.
Please post back with the results.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Er... I have no idea where my windows PC is, I've had this computer for three years, but before that it was my brother's, who now lives in another country and I have absolutely no idea where the CD is. I actually think the computer already came with WinXP installed. Solutions?

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Where did you d/l IE7 from?
We need to repair IE6 before you can successfully upgrade to IE7.
Can you borrow a Windows cd?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I downloaded it from Microsoft.com, and when that didn't work, I downloaded the "Google friendly IE7" from google. Both gave the same problem. I don't think I can get a Windows CD, to be honest. The computer came with it installed and no CD...

·
TSF Emeritus
15,079 Posts
try this:

Click Start => My computer, on the mneu bar click Tools => Folder options, click on the tab View, tick Show hidden files and folders also untick Hide protected operating system files, click Apply => Ok.

Double click on C:\ => Windows => Inf, find ie.inf right click on it and click Install

When finshed restart your computer

·
TSF Emeritus
15,079 Posts
Try this:

Click Here to download IEfix.zip. Save it to your desktop and extract the files.
Double click on IEFix.exe
Click the Apply button

You'll be prompted for the Operating System CD or the Service Pack Files location:

If you're using Windows 2000/XP, insert the Operating System CD. For OEM systems, point to the Operating System source path when prompted. If you've applied a Service Pack separately, you need to insert the Slipstreamed Operating System CD (if you have one) or point the installer to the ServicePack source path when prompted. Mention the path as "C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386" or "C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles"

If you don't have the Windows installation CD, and if the installation source files are not present in the hard disk, you may click Cancel. IEFix will continue with DLL registration part.

Restart Windows

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.