Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please please please please please help! It's been frustrating for me. Whenever I save a jpg file from a website using IE6 it gives it the extension .jpeg instead of the usual .jpg. It didn't use to do this before. I don't know what caused it to change. I've been to other forum boards including Microsoft's but the solution posted there didn't work. I have WinXP and no I don't have the Service Pack installed for IE6. That's just not an option for me.

Thank you in advance!

:confused:

·
Registered
72 Posts
*First back up your registry.

Go to run type in regedit

Locate;

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\image/jpeg

and edit the Extension STRING value from .jpeg to .jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No luck. i did exactly as you said and even restarted the PC. IE6 is still defaulting to .jpeg. Do you suppose there's another value somewhere in the registry that I can try changing? =(

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have hacked the registry until I'm blue in the face! It just don't work. IE6 always plumps for .jpeg - it must be locked in a DLL somewhere - I've got SP1 for IE6 and some later updates - no difference. Nearly all the entries for .jpg are the same for .jpeg. I couldn't get Photoshop to automatically open .jpeg so I used this bit of code below.
This was an exported key which defined a .jpg with PhotoshopLE, so I altered the jpg to jpeg, and imported in the new data and now PLE opens jpegs no problem.

===================
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.jpeg]
"Application"="photosle.exe"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.jpeg\OpenWithList]
"MRUList"="a"
"a"="mspaint.exe"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.jpeg\OpenWithProgids]
"jpegfile"=hex(0):
=================

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.