Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everybody.

I am trying to help out a friend of mine, via email, who has a Compaq box with XP SP2.

The problem started when she saved some pictures from emails and then found she only had those cute boxes with the red x's in them.

We started, of course, with system restore, and moved on from there. I was pretty confused, because I thought ie5 would be recreated if she accidentally deleted it, but it apparently hasn't.

A major concern is that I had her download and run Spybot during the diagnostics, and it found 135 items (in red). Those have been fixed, and we've been through several Hijack Logs, and the logs are now clean.

Here's the biggest catch; this is another one of those cases where the purchaser did not receive and restore disks with her box.

Any suggestions at where we are right now?

I am afraid that I am going to have to tell her to buy the OS and install it over the old one. I'm running out of options.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to include the original error messages that she sent me:

c:\documentsand settings\owner\localsettings\temporaryinternetfiles\content.ie5 does not exist. When I click Okay, I get the message: A problem occurred extracting files to c:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\

I also failed to mention that we have run check disk twice, and it turns up nothing.

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
Call compaq. If the computer is still under warranty and you tell them the hd crashed, they will send you the disks at no charge. If it is out of warranty it costs like $20.

How does XP have IE 5.0? I thought standard install was IE 6.0.

Could be wrong. Have been before. ???

·
Registered
42 Posts
Have you tried clearing all temp files? Many things stop working with XP when it gets too large as it is unable to write anymore to temp.

·
Registered
376 Posts
It appears that the second problem which was caused by system restore has been answered now. People are too quick to use system restore on their computers, and it ends up messing things up horribly. This was an incorrect and egregious step to take for a problem this simple, but I'll let the consequences speak for themselves. I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but I feel bad for your friend having to reformat. I've been there, and it's no fun.

Anyway, what happened was that your friend simply clicked the Save option in the picture. Since no directory to save it to was specified, Windows saved it to where the image was being temporarily stored. This was the Temporary Internet Files. Temporary Internet Files are often cleared out to save space on your hard drive, which was a good thing. However, this deleted your friends pictures since she didn't save them to an actual folder to permanently store them. Internet Explorer itself was never deleted - only the inproperly saved pictures were.

When saving pictures, or anything for that matter, always select Save As..., and then browse to the folder into which you want to save them. They'll then be there when you want to access them again, and you'll also know exactly where they're stored.

Hope this helps to clarify what happened...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.