Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can open IE and use it fine, except when it comes to closing the application. In the Task Manager window, the IE process continues and never ends, unless I do it manually or I reboot. Unfortunatley after so many windows open and closed over a fairly small period of time, the computer opens the window, but does not display anything.

I have the latest sefice pack (SP2) and my computer is set for automatic updates, so whatever is the latest I have.

Please help as I'm not sure how to proceed.

Thanks in advace for your help :smile:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did that just now and I saw a black screen flash and then nothing. How would the scan results be displayed?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know this thread is from 2005 (it was probably already solved) lol But i'm going to offer my input anyway.
Just incase anyone else has a problem regarding this, and infections.

You really don't need hijack this to see if you're infecting or not. Hijack this works well on finding and locating, and removing possible infections, but you don't need it, to see if you're possibly infected. In that case you can scan, your HDD or reformat hard disk....

Ways on locating a possible infection is checking all your active connections. Making sure that there is nothing that looks suspicious , like suspicious connections. You can do that by going to <run><start><cmd><netstat><enter>

I think its good to always monitor your active connections. Another thing to do is check the PID (process id numbers) in netstat.

netstat -nao will list all Address's and ports, and pid's But before doing this close off all other connections... make sure that everything is disconnected execpt for your internet connection.

You should get a list bringing up all the listening connections and address's make sure nothing is ''establish'' if so then it could be a problem.

Check the pid number and go to taskmanager and view the process ID.
(view columns, check PID) Make sure that the process ID that is active, if it's active is legit, however... process names can be named to almost anything.

Anyways it's always a good idea to monitor and check all connections, and make sure each address is supposed to be there. It's not 100% guarenteed, but it does help.

Another thing to do is check, and observe your system, and performence.
Pesky little trojans tend to use unusual amount of system resource's and/or exceed bandwidth. Pay attention to the system memory, and that it's not experiencing eratic behavior. e.g. slagish running, or application failure, crash's etc.... trojans to to drain to much system resources causing these. But some trojan servers are pretty stable. (some)

Another thing to pay attention is unusual things... like task manager or netstat being disabled. A lot of coders code their servers to disable services, and certain .exe such as those, or other things such as Failure to terminate a running process, or system shutting down, unexpecting.

Or getting a false windows messages (saying your computer might be infecting) and redirects you to a site to have it scanned. That's a trojan downloader, at play, downloading a trojan to your PC if that occurs.

Its also a good idea to check system startup in MSCONFIG and check all objects. See if any suspicious items are present.

Now these were basic ways to check if one is infected, but no guaretee.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.