Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have windows vista, and apparently a very stubborn virus.

This would be as simple as running an anti-virus, but every time I attempt to open Avast, Kaspersky internet security,Sbot S&D or try to do a system restore I get a "file download security warning" and Internet explorer opens instead. All of the icons for these programs have changed to the Internet Explorer shortcut sign as though they've been changed to links. There is no web address in the toolbar when IE starts. I tried downloading two other anti-virus programs and launching them but their icons were automatically IE and opened as such. This is getting frustrating.

If I do nothing, Internet explorer opens continually but doesn't go to any websites and the "File download Security Warning" continues. The security warnings say the name of a program and ask whether or not I want to run or save each time. These are some of the file names it's given, but mostly it just says avast;

rundll.exe
rthdvcpl.exe
tea timer.exe
wmpnscnfg.exe
hkcmd.exe
onenotem.exe
jushed.exe
igfxtray.exe
ashdisp.exe
ahtray.exe
reader_sl.exe

I am not normally computer illiterate or helpless.. but I am completely at a loss. I can't run any of the programs that are supposed to fix my internet explorer having a seizure if they all open as IE!It appears my computer is mistaking it's antivirus software for an internet link. My computer will not stop asking if I want to "run or save" so I'm assuming I have some kind of Trojan Downloader

Please please somebody give me some kind of help?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm glad no one has put the effort into it yet, I figured it out. It was my fault completely and not a virus at all. I managed to confuse my computer into associating .exe files with Internet Explorer, including regedit, so I downloaded the altered registry file and merged. All better.

I need to know a good combo for firewall, anti-virus, and spyware for Windows Vista that I can come by free. There are a lot of highly regarded programs out there but I keep hearing that they don't all work well together and after reading some things about how Avast works when you're in the thick of fighting malware I decided I want to switch.

So any ideas on a good, free, thorough combo regarding malware protection programs on Vista?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.