Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use Internet Explorer 5.5. Recently I've found that everytime I reboot my computer, IE's homepage has changed without my doing it. I suspect that in my surfing, someone has altered an .ini or .dll to make it do this on boot.

Does anyone know which file may have been altered and where I can find it?

Thanks.

Jim Bost

S

·
0 Posts
Does it still do this if you go to tools internet options and set it to the homepage you want?..:confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IE 5.5

Yes it does. I can type in a new homepage under Tools/Internet Options and it keeps it until I reboot the computer. Then the URL from who knows where shows up again.

JIm

S

·
0 Posts
Where does the url take you, It loads a page doesn't it? This should give you a clue as how it got there.

Try doing a search for it on your C drive but first enable view all files.
At one time or another someone must have been asked do you want to set this as your homepage.

Are you the only one that has access to this machine and did you buy it off of somebody used?

Maybe someone else here has an idea of how to correct this.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
jimbost said:
I use Internet Explorer 5.5. Recently I've found that everytime I reboot my computer, IE's homepage has changed without my doing it. I suspect that in my surfing, someone has altered an .ini or .dll to make it do this on boot.

Does anyone know which file may have been altered and where I can find it?

Thanks.

Jim Bost
Try downloading and running this program, http://www.tucows.com/preview/236049.html

This will scan your system (including registry) for known spyware components and delete them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As my first post can I suggest an answer to your problem.

Startpage Guard d/l from www.wantdbest.com

just set your homepage, it will not allow any prog to change it, from the vast emptiness of the web, yahoo and some search engine were taking it in turn to be my homepage, not anymore.

hope this helps.

sir henry

The reason I drink is because soon I'll be dead and then I won't be able to drink anymore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.