Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Internet Explorer will not browse the Internet if Kazaa is not connected first. On DSL Connection, sometimes while Kazaa is connected Internet Explorer will display the message "this page cannot be displayed," Internet Explorer is constantly up and down up and down with its ability to show web pages. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
To bad there is not like a picture of a nuclear detonation as an option,

Welcome to the forum,

I'm hoping that you have a firewall up with a DSL connection and Kazaa at the same time, also current virus protection set to update like every 5 seconds. :)

Kazaa is not the thing to use, it may have corrupted your browser if you don't have a virus or some other nasty in your system. Also you might want to take a look at your system and run a check for spyware. I good free scanner can be found @ downloads.com the name is Ad-Aware.

It sounds like a virus, or Kazaa has made modifications that make it impossible to use the net without it in the background. Try uninstalling the software. (Although unless you know how to delete reg. keys it may not go away completely)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Okay.... I think that "we" are over reacting to a simple problem.
First off, Kazaa completely relies on IE, simply because Microsoft has made it painful to use anything else, and wouldn't sabotage it (AOL however is a completely different story :D) So that all but rules that out, plus the people currently backing Kazaa claim NO SPYWARE so if there were any they'd be getting reamed right now. Next... it is possible that it could be a virus circulated on KAZAA that does this, but most likely ONLY circulated on kazaa, cause it seems to be a pretty lame a$$ virus to me. So the firewall & AV protection are a definate must. Also depending on the OS your running it maybe a conflict that KAZAA has with the firewall/proxy that you have set up. Kazaa, by whatever means finds an open port on your computer, generally regardless of Firewall or AV, as long as you allow it access to the internet, so it may be that without Kazaa running the firewall kicks in and IE can't do jack. If you really want to test.. uninstall KAZAA, and rebuild IE (Internet Explorer) But these are just some humble suggestions, what do I know in comparison to the big gov't IT whiz???

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
The Kazaa people claim no spyware however thats just because they have renamed it in their vocabulary to "sleeper software." And I don't care what they say we have analyzed this network and it does contain software of the, spyware or sleeper ware variety.

Just an FYI :)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Ummm...no? According to your software... the adware thing on CNET, I have nothing on mine.... I made a point to disable any/everything that could be masking it ( firewall/proxy/AV/XP firewall/EVERYTHING) and I have 0 detections of spyware... amazingly enough, and yes before you ask KAZAA was running, AND DLing at the time, so I don't know what your network analysis brought up, but I don't have it. So KAZAA isn't the virus ridden script kiddy cess pool you make it out to be. :)

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
hmm. Did I hit a nerve?

You don't own stock in the company do you? Relatives? :)

Anyway what I was saying before you became hostile and attracted my post on the use-less-ness (is that a word?) of Kazaa was that the Kazaa file system does contain viruses, it conflicts with Microsoft software more often than not, and if you do decide to get rid of it...good luck.

Now I'm not saying the software is un-usable I have used it in the past and I hear it has some good features to it, but it has been my experience that the downsides far out weight the upsides. And when theres a problem with viruses and a user has been using one of these file sharing sites thats more often than not the cause of the problem.

Thats all I'm trying to say here, Also note: I'm not a huge fan of Morpheus either. (Let the flames come)

Really I'm not a huge fan of any file site that causes glitches (more often than not) and has viruses (you cant say they don't) that my end users download and then call me to help clean up. :)

And as far as the spyware scanner I frequently recommend, that is not what I was referring to, and it does not detect sleeper software.

Now... that I'm done defending myself it appears Valiant that you are going out of your way to disagree with me today. Did someone run over your dog today or something? :)

S

·
0 Posts
it appears Valiant that you are going out of your way to disagree with me today. Did someone run over your dog today or something?
This is a forum and people are going to disagree with you sometimes, Your a big boy learn to deal with it...:)

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I was only joking... I love the open forum of boards like these, without opposing opinions a board like this could not be and I love the exchange of ideas, I was just trying to inject some humor along with the differing opinions, so it wasn't such a dry read. :)

I have found Valiant to be wise beyond his years, so no offense meant to anyone.

Maybe Ill drop the joking and stick to only the subject matter. It just seems a little boring and not really my style. :(

·
Registered
852 Posts
How about audiogalaxy? I've been using that since the fall of the allmighty Napster and it seems to work just fine. No conflicts with anything. Never heard of Kazaa before tonight but logic tells me if Valiant has been using it consistantly and TTII has been using it, TTII found viruses and spyware and Valiant didn't using identical detection software, that TTII's virus and or spyware must be coming from another source. Just logic.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Never used audiogalaxy, Zazaa is a PtP file trading network and not all files have viruses in them, just some, (Mostly any files the people at work download) Thats really the only reason for my dislike the headaches it causes me,because my users download anything and everything with no common sense.

And also like most things that try to integrate with Microsoft products it sometimes causes widespread browsers errors. Not like end of OS type stuff, but still it takes up time to fix these errors.

S

·
0 Posts
TheTechIsIn

Sorry I thought it was going to be the beginning of a flame war..;)

But as far as KaZaa goes you are right it is a virus just waiting to happen.

Last week I installed it to get a couple of items needed to complete my collection of Stuff ..:winkgrin:

I also tried AVG for the first time.

Well something I downloaded totally screwed up my computer.

AVG wouldn't quarantine or delete it..:cry:

Warning boxes kept opening up one after the other, After screwing with it for a while with no success I dragged out the Maxblast disk and wiped the drive.

I'm a little leary of AVG now, But time will tell...;)

Have a nice long weekend...:D

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I will/ did admit KAZAA has virii, but jumping to the immediate conlusion that could send someone with a possible harmless Microshaft software conflict into wipe and reinstall of an OS, over rumors that you have heard seems a little silly. As for my "hostility", my vocabulary took the better of me. I am still adamant that KAZAA is the best Peer to Peer file sharing out, as with all things, though it needs to be used with comon sense. ALWAYS run an AV. Make sure it is active during the time of the download, because the 2 times I did download a virus ( the code was so shoddy it can hardly be called that) Norty picked it up midstream, and did his little scaredy dance, I canceled the DL, put my system on full alert, re downloaded, and dissected the thing!
( I don't advise this, I was just curious though) As for the safety and security of your computer, just browsing the internet can cause more damage than the crap you find on KAZAA. www.warez.com for example has hostile java on every pop up, and embeded into the main site (if I'm not mistaken), and I was just there to get a link, so that should say something... I'm not sure what though :)

The little remarks about my dog being run over, or owning stock in Sharman networks, I took it as poking fun, and no harm came of it, but I have a sense of humor... I don't advise continuing the "hostility" of your remarks toward others, because if you found my simple replies to be hostile, well golly gee that makes it sound like retaliation... and the U.N. wouldn't want that :D
And just FYI they have introduced a new VIRUS-FREE P2P program Altnet. I have read anything yet, but I'm guessing a virus scan built in or something along those lines. So no blood no foul, I just think you should try to back your statement a little better if you feel the need to bash software that your not even sure is causing the problem.....

and how did this get into a shouting match... I'm not even sure if we fixed mcranger77's problem. Truce????

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
No problem valiant, let peace and goodwill on earth reign :)

Your right hopefully mcranger77 got his problem fixed, if not mc Let us know and ill try a different approach besides burning on the PtP network your using.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank You all for the replys. We ended up having the Kazaa program removed to see if we noticed a difference. They couldnt browse at all after that, after checking the Ip settings and so forth we found out that they had been using a straight through cable for a fujitsu modem which requires a cross over cable. Some how and I have no idea why Kazaa was able to get a connection and be stable enough to bring up webpages using IE.

Mcranger77

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kazzaa??????????

download kazaa lite instead, it wont install any spyware in your computer, full kazza does that, file like new.domain, savenow and so on

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Really? hmmmm... it makes sense now... Yo Tech I never installed any of that crap.. I only installed the Kazaa part of things ( I never trust software to install for me... custom all the way!) That maybe why I didn't have any spyware :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.