Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I start Internet Explorer 8, I get the following message: "A program on your computer has corrupted your Internet Explorer Search Provider default setting. Internet Explorer has reset this setting to search.live.com. Internet Explorer will now open the Search Provider settings so that you can change this setting." It opens the Manage Add-ons dialog box and I enable Live search and check the "Prevent programs from suggesting sites" check box. However, when I go back into IE, the same message pops up and I have to go back and close the dialog. I tried resetting Internet Explorer settings, but that didn't have any effect. I also tried to download a fresh copy of Internet Explorer and that didn't help either. It doesn't say what program corrupted the search provider settings. What should i do to solve this problem. I am using Windows XP with Service pack 3. Thank you.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Bhoy, please start your own thread next time, we frown upon thread hijacking in the forum(s)

Computer Rob,

1. Make sure IE 8 is closed then navigate to this registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
2. Add a new “Expandable String value” inside the above mentioned key with a value name of “AppData” and a value data of “%USERPROFILE%\Application Data”.
3. Reopen IE 8 and see if you still get the error message.

Please backup your Registry before editing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.