Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to solve this problem for a customer's computer, and it's got me stumped. When the computer first boots up, IE won't display any web pages and OE won't connect to the mail server for about 15 minutes. After that time, they both work fine. Firefox is working fine, but the customer doesn't want to use Mozilla permanently. She won't let me put Thunderbird on, and only uses Firefox if she needs to get a webpage up before IE is ready.
She runs XP Home, SP2. The problem started after she installed SP3, but removing SP3 had no effect. I've tried reinstalling IE, even dropped back to IE6, with no change. The only thing I've found that seems to improve it is starting in Safe Mode (with networking, of course). IE and OE respond right away in Safe Mode. My theory is that some service that IE and OE depend on is having trouble starting, but I can't figure out what.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, I didn't think of that. She's using Norton Internet Security. But if Norton were having a problem at system startup, wouldn't it also block Firefox?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.