Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,I am in need of some serious help here.My brother has a computer with windows 98 on it,being stupid he downloaded windows 2000 server and tried to install it while 98 was still on running!!! :deveous: He then decided to go deleting some files after I told him how stupid he was.Now (not really surprised) the computer will not work correctly.

When the power is turned on it goes directly do a screen that says

"Windows 2000 could not start because a following file could not be found or is corrupt.<windows 2000 root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.Please re-install a copy of the above file"

I can press F8 and get into a command promt,is there anything you guys can do to help me.This would be a great help,Thanks for your time.

P.S......I know this is a dumb thread,and should not mention downloading windows! :cry:

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Yep: reformat the hard drive and re-install Win 98 you arent going to get far without a CD key for win 2003 / and that OS is going to be checking for legit version anyway / so thank your brother for botching up your data !!

downloading an OS doesnt work / there are people who find that funny and offer it up on Limewire and stuff / but its done more as a practical Joke then anything !! :4-thatsba

I would teach brother what a cowboy tune-up is !!

regards

joe

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well he said that his brother installed Windows 2000 Server, not Windows Server 2003, so it was probably easy to install with any serial number he also found.

If there is data on the drive that you need to get off I would say stick the drive in another system as slave and get your data off. After that dig up the Windows 98 CD and do a nice clean install. If you try to troubleshoot the problem and get in running again you will probably spend more time troubleshooting then it would take to back up the data and do a reinstall of 98.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of the replies guys.I have tried to re-install windows 98 on the computer but that would not work.I have reformatted the computer several times without a problem but when I tried to this time,agian it didnt work.I may try Reese's suggestion and stick the drive in another system as a slave.The computer keeps asking which OS to boot,98 or 2000...he must have deleted files from both OS's because when you choose one it wont work.Does anyone know a way which you can wipe the computer clean and just install windows?(not by trying the reformat techinque)

I know that the computer isnt really amazing but I do think it its worth saving,maybe even upgrading.I'd like to put a linux on it for him.

Thanks agian,

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
You'll need to wipe it to get it to work right. Of course you'll want to first back up your data by tossing it into another PC.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all you hep guys.I took the harddrive out and installed it in another computer as a slave,then deleted all its contents and backed up the stuff I needed.I re-installed windows and it works great.Problem Solved! :grin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.