Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having acquired on of the above, have been unable to get it to work.
HD has XP on it. Tried several times, with a different type of bootup showing each time!!!!. From XP screen, mouse and keyboard frozen,total freeze up and to being unable to switch off comp.(HD was set to Master)
Are these converters not up to much, seems a well made thing with two Sata plug in points on it, but has me beaten. Interested to hear any suggestions/comments or peoples experiences with such a device.
After complete removal, booted up, and the comp did a Chkdsk (without a request from me) and repaired many, many corrupted files.
Really I need to be told, just forget it, otherwise I may be tempted to TRY again.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Further reading, I found one advisor states, to make the HD Cable Select and another to make the HD Slave.
Could my having the drive Master have caused my difficulties.
Anyone care to comment.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In Reply:Setup is XP. One IDE HD, two Sata hard drives, one Sata CD/DVD.
One empty Sata connection on the MB.
Obviously the other SATA drives are also fully functioning as entirely seperate entities by way of Caddies.
Prior to this attempt the IDE drive was setup and fully functioning on the Comp as the main 'working' drive in a caddy. The only time for other than one drive to be in active is when I wish to clone one to another. The attempt to connect the IDE via Sata was with the IDE being the only drive attached at that time and taken out of it's caddy and connected directly.
Because I 'like' to mess around and don't heed the maxim 'if it ain't broke don't mess with it' I decided to make all drives SATA.
There is no manufacturer on the box, but the usual words 'Made in China'. Bought from a reputable supplier and appears to be well made.
The printing on the box is rather less reassuring but not for the first time have seen similiar from China. This is what is printed on the box: 'Sic'.
IDE and SATA Convertewer.
One Serial ATA port.
One four pin power connector.
Converts sevial ATA to paraller ATA
Converts parallel ATA to serial ATA
Support ATA 100/133.
Compliant with serial ATA specification.
As it cost less than a tenner, I shall be putting it into my, ever increasing in size 'spare' parts box.
Unless of course this Forum comes up with an answer to get it to work.
Maybe, Retired,Three Comps and Ten HDs explains a lot!!!!!!!!
Thanks for reply.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.