Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was just thinking, coming from another thread (further below) if I wanted to have 2 HDD (IDE's master/slave) and 2 SATA (yes already have 2 sata connectors) what would be the best config possible?

Would having the OS (Win XP Pro) on a SATA drive be better? Or would it be more reliable on IDE? If OS is on IDE, and I use SATA for game storage, will that slow down access time? In other words, would OS have to go out, everytime, read off SATA, ect...

So setup I want to have: 2 IDE HDD (roughly 60-80 gigs each)
2 SATA HDD (80-120 gigs each)

What's your opinion?

And partitioning is a must... not going to waste a bunch of space by have 1 large partition on each drive... that's just nuts.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I run my OS on my SATA they are noticeably faster :sayyes: I use my ATA/IDE drive for storage. (Pic's. doc's ect.....). Are you planning on setting the SATA's up as a raid setup or Just additional drives? Partitioning is your option, I run mine as full drives, If they were bigger I might not :4-dontkno.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also,
I've read in a couple of threads about backing up OS's. I've never actually done this, and although I do use WinXP I KNOW how flaky ANYTHING from Microsoft is. So how do you actually go about doing this? Is it just a matter of setting up an extra partition somewhere? And some configs within the OS itself to backup regularly?

Okay, that's it. Thanks... just curious over here.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oldmn said:
I run my OS on my SATA they are noticeably faster :sayyes: I use my ATA/IDE drive for storage. (Pic's. doc's ect.....). Are you planning on setting the SATA's up as a raid setup or Just additional drives?
Althought i'm a SW Engineer, have to say I'm not too knowledgeable about HW.

So what's the diff b/w RAID setup and 'additional' setup?
Please explain or reference docs.
:sayyes:

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Raid setup will store identical data on two drives. A raid 1 will show up as one drive. But of one drive fails the other one is still bootable. there are several differant raid setups. Some Raid Info
Note Raid only protects your data if a drive fails, There is no protection if somthing corrupts you drive, it will do the samething to both drives.
What I do is i use Seagate diskwizard and make a duplicate drive on my other drive. This drive not only has all my data it is also bootable if my main drive fails. I copy the drive at least once a week.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

the best performance would be to have your OS on a Sata drive and use the IDE drive for regular back-ups & other storage

IMHO: the sata controllers are just a bit flakier than IDE controllers / or maybe its an operator thing and they are just a tad easier to foul up ???? either way you should always back-up your data from the sata drive to another drive / you pick your prefered way to do that / my back-up preference is cloning

Sata drives are fast becoming the replacement for IDE drives / in the near future there probally wont be any more IDE drives or IDE optical devices

as you think of more questions / fire away

cheers

joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.