Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm attempting to install an old IDE drive as a slave on a fairly new PC (Fujitsu / Siemens, < 1 yr old) that has a SATA HDD as its primary (only) hard drive. As far as I can tell, I've set the jumper on the IDE drive correctly - but have tried all the possible settings.

In order to do this, I've bought an adapter card and cables (A11AZ SATA to IDE converter from Maplins UK, mfg by Oyatech in Taiwan); I've tested the IDE drive in another PC, and know it's functioning - but neither the BIOS nor Windows (XPSP2) sees it in the new PC. Obviously, the adapter card and/or cable could be faulty, though I have no reason to believe they are.

Any suggestions? Additional steps I need to take for BIOS to see the drive? I would imagine this to be a common problem, as people replace PC's but are reluctant to throw away old hard drives

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
yes; your endeavor is very common!

did you remove any master/slave jumpers from the drive before you conencted it to your sata port

make sure you didnt connect yopur drive to a raid port, this info can be found in the motherboard manual

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you saying it won't work unless the jumper is removed altogether? Because that's the one setting I didn't try!

Sandy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.