Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have an old pc with Windows XP, the hard drive has just died. I'm looking into replacing the hard drive which is currently IDE. Whats the difference between IDE and SATA, which drive would I be best choosing? Any advice is much appreciated.

Many Thanks

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
I would simply replace the old drive with a new IDE. There is some differences in speed with Sata, but honestly, not a whole heck of a lot. In addition, you can usually pick a an IDE drive for a more reasonable price.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Sata is way faster than Ide..i think personally
In theory, Sata is much faster, but when you take into account the bottlenecks in the technology we presently have, then aren't nearly as fast as they are capable of. You will notice a small difference since they (SATA) are faster, but a good IDE 7500 rpm drive will do a very nice job for you and unless you are looking for a special tweak, won't make that much difference in the long run. That is my opinion.

T

·
0 Posts
In theory, Sata is much faster, but when you take into account the bottlenecks in the technology we presently have, then aren't nearly as fast as they are capable of. You will notice a small difference since they (SATA) are faster, but a good IDE 7500 rpm drive will do a very nice job for you and unless you are looking for a special tweak, won't make that much difference in the long run. That is my opinion.
I like SATA's because yes they are a tiny bit faster but really I like it because of airflow, nobig cable messes like the guy I just got with like 50 IDE cables stretching everywhere and a processor at about 70 C Idle :eek:. Just putting out my opinion, not trying to fight in any battles :grin:. I want to hear more of your opinions to Tumbleweed :grin:

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
I don't disagree with the opinion by techpro5238. In fact, his term a "tiny" bit faster is about what I said and is pretty darn accurate. They just aren't a whole lot faster.

I use Sata myself because of the cooling issue and that is a very big thing to consider if you have several drives. I do also use IDE when it is convenient or as a simple replacement for an older drive, or when the motherboard technology is not best to use Sata without adding another card for Sata. The users said it was an old computer, so that was what was taken into consideration when the comment was made.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.