Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently fixing a computer for a friend at the moment and it was running Windows ME with a 10 gig hard drive partitioned into two 5 gig partitions.
They wished to keep the original files from the ME machine (word docs etc.)
I have installed a 20 gig IDE HDD into it to install XP on to it.
I have it connected fine and when i got to boot up it recognises only the new 20 gig hdd and it boots from the XP CD fine. It copies the files for the install to the HDD and then reboots. Than it wants to start the XP install all over again, it just won;t let me boot from the HDD, its set as the Master and i purchased it new.
I'm not to good with the technical mumbo jumbo, i just know how to build a computer, do repairs (BASICS)
if any one could help me here it would be great.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
satrah said:
I have it connected fine and when i got to boot up it recognises only the new 20 gig hdd
This sounds like a problem if both drives are installed and it only recognises the new drive. Try and install Windows with the old drive disconnected. After Windows is installed, then connect the old drive as a slave or on the secondary IDE channel by itself. (the latter preferred). Make sure the drive shows in the BIOS. If it doesn't show in the BIOS or the OS, the drive may be faulty. This could be caused by a number of things. Bad controller board, the drive outlived its useful life, etc. Usually you would have to send it into a data recovery place to retrive your information off it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.