Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i am wanting to know one thing, but it is based off of a few things. first i'll say what i am asking, and then go into the things i am needing.

Q: what is the best way to arrange a pair of hard drives, and a
CD-rom and burner on the cables?

i like to burn from cd-cd. but sometimes it seems my buffer runs a little dry. could it be that they are on the same ide channel?
i also like to burn from my hard disk, and as it is now, i can do that perfectly with them both off of the burner channel.
and is there a reason to put the virtual mem on a different channel than the os?

i have seen all of this discussed here, but i wanted to ask a more direct question containing all of these variables.

i am mainly asking Danrak but this question is open for all users of this forum to offer their answers also.
last time i asked i got one answer, but i want to hear from a few people, and maybe i'll learn a little bit of the why.

thank you
~BoB~

S

·
0 Posts
Here's my 2 cents worth.............:D

I usually have both hard drives on IDE 1 as Master and Slave.

Then I'll have the burner as Master on IDE two with the CD-Player as Slave on IDE Two.

This has always worked for me.

I have become accustomed to burning from an image by using the burner to read the image off of a disk and then burning.

I have never had much luck trying to copy from CD to CD since the burners became so fast. I don't really think you can copy that way without slowing the burner way down to match the speed of the CD-Player.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm

thank you for that speedo.
as far as speed goes, i never burn at more than 8x.

anyways, hopefully danrak will check in soon :p

~BoB~

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
CD-to-CD is frequently a problem, if the source CD spins down, it causes issues during the copy process. It's really not any slower to buffer to disk for the copies, and it works ever time.

·
hey
10,189 Posts
If you have to go from cd-cd then split the cd-roms up. They say that is the best way. When I have to burn cd-cd I usually have it copy to the hard drive first though. Now there is the argument that attaching a cd-rom on the same cable will slow the hard drive down, but I have not noticed the difference. Hope that helps. I think there was a debate on this at one time too.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you

well, with all this in mind i feel that i am best off leaving it as it is, and making images to the hard disk like i always do when i want to be sure not to fail a disc.
but thank you for the answers you guys (not meaning just men)

~BoB~

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.