Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, let me say that I am pretty much a noob when it comes to hard drives, so if any of the post sounds dumb I'm sorry. I've also been searching Google and this site and I found a thread very similar to what I'm going to ask, but I wanted to check just in case.

So I have an ASUS SK8N mobo, AMD FX51, GeForce 5900FX and I think that my computer is bottlenecking really badly in the hard drive department because I have a Western Digital 120 GB IDE, and that's all the specs I know about it except for it's model number: WD1200JB-00EVA0.

Anyways, I've been really interested in a 74 GB Raptor, and I would like to clone the IDE to the SATA. I have Norton Ghost 9.0 and XXClone which was recommended in the other post. I just need to know exactly what to do in order to clone the entire drive over, OS, applications, everything, because the SATA is really confusing me with the drivers and stuff. And do you think this is a good idea or should I not even waste my time? :4-dontkno

And then one more thing, a few months ago I switched all my hardware to a new case, and when I did so, I booted up and a black screen came up that said SATA 378 and some other text, then it said searching for device, then it said device not found and then under that it said "BIOS not detected!" The computer booted up fine, and that screen shows everytime I boot the computer up now but everything has been running smooth.

I checked in the device manager and the WinXP Promise FasTrak 378 Controller says it can't start.

So ever since I switched the hardware over to a new case it's had those two things different with it, so I just included them here to see if that would pose some kind of problem or see if anyone knew how I could fix this.

Thanks everyone, and sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
31 Posts
First of all - Raptors are good fast drives and you'll get a performance boost - ive just done something similar for the same reason and its easy. I would talk you through my experiences with IDE to Raptors and link you to Lindermans advice to me...

BUT... the SATA378 thing may need to be sorted out before you can get a SATA drive working on your system. I may be wrong but I think you will need that. You havnt had probs yet cause you arn't using it yet!

I cant help much with that particular problem except the obvious, like have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling the Promise 378 controller? Check for new drivers on the MoBo website. Maybe check the bios settings - may be disabled there or something.

Strange that it happened during the move from old to new case (if it did).
Did you change anything else or connect anything differently at all?

Check if theres a Jumper on the mobo that affects SATA and it is set appropriatly, or its not fallen off. (in the manual).

Lee

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

Have to checked to make sure the RAID contoller is "disabled" in the bios ?????
thats the most common mistake made / and I would also suggest you download and install the latest bios files for your mobo / there are alot of fixes for sata controllers in those recent bios releases. I strongly suggest you use your DOS based bios utility and stay clear of the easier live update and easy update and all that crap, they are easy except when they botch a bios install / then they are anything but easy

review your mobo manual for bios install procedures

dont hesitate to ask more questions if needed.

regards

joe

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've looked over everything after I switched cases, and the only thing I did wrong was I took out the floppy disk drive. I also took the jumper off to reset the CMOS or whatever for some reason, I did this while pulling an all nighter in the summer because I was so bored.

RAID wasn't disabled in the BIOS or I have never changed it, maybe it got changed somehow. There are also several updates for the BIOS, but I'm gonna need a floppy back in the computer for those I guess.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
unless you are going to run a raid config / the raid controller should be disabled in the bios.

although I dont use a flpyy drive much / i wouldnt be able to sleep nites if I didn have one !!

joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.