Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Here's a relevant question to this. I have an older HDD, and it was working with a 40 wire cable. If I upgrade to an 80 wire cable so that I can add a newer HDD, will it still work? Basically, are the 80 backwards capatable?

Discussion starter · #25 ·
back again to try to solve my problem, when I connect everything to the IDE cables, the BIOS reads it correctly as the way that I have them connected,

Primary Master- Boot Hard Drive(Windows XP)
Primary Slave- Extra Drive(storage for music, movies, etc)
Secondary Master- CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive
Secondary Slave- CD-ROM Drive

when I try to access the Extra Drive, it doesn't open up, plus the computer takes awhile to boot up into Windows XP, when I have this drive disconnected, it boots up faster and no problems,
what can I do to solve the problem? thanks

Discussion starter · #29 ·
The Problem Is Solved

hey folks I solved the problems that I was having, here's what I did to solve my problem,
I let the computer boot up into Windows XP(it took awhile of course) from there I went to START then RUN then CHKDSK F:\ /f, it ran check disk of the F: drive(where my extra drive is located), it found the errors and fixed them, I accessed the drive by opening it and all my stored data(music, movies, pics) were still there and I restarted the computer and it sees all 4 components and booted up into Windows in no time, a big thanks for all the help provided in here, A BIG UPS TO ALL THOSE THAT HELPED ME OUT HERE :sayyes: :sayyes: :sayyes:

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.