Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

This is my first post so here we go...Also I am new to SATA drives

Right now I am currently maxed out as far as IDE stuff, and i was wondering if I could use 2 SATA drives without any conflicts? My operating system is on the IDE drive and the 2 extra drives I want to add would be just for storage of files and stuff. What my question is, can i run 2 SATA drives pretty much with plug n play setup? I am running Win XP SP2

These are the spacs from my motherboard...also what are the diffrence between the two?
PATA 2 x ATA 133 up to 4 Devices
SATA 2 x SATA 150

I have 2 open SATA ports visable on the MB

I dont understand this, on PATA i can add up to 4 HD's?(or this just the same as IDE ports?)

And with SATA drives only 2?
Is my understanding correct?

Specs and harware listed in signature..
Any help would greatly be appreciated
Greg

·
Registered
310 Posts
Also, the 4 IDE devices you were asking about, well that is 2 IDE devices per IDE port. So one IDE is for HDD and one for optical (typically). You can have two IDE Optical (CD-R/RW/CD/DVD ... ect) on one of the IDE ports and you can have two IDE HDD (master/slave setup) on the other. Maxing these two IDE ports out to a total of 4.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
in summary:

if you did not "want" to run any cd-rom or dvd drives you could run two hard drives on the primary ide channel (blue mobo connector) and run two more hard drives on the secondary IDE channel (black mobo connector) and have no optical drives ????? yeah right !!

or a more practical approach

run two IDE drives on the primary ide channel
run two optical drives on the secondary ide channel
run two sata drives on the sata controller

hoep this helps / ask more questions if needed

cheers

joe

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
This machine I'm using has two SATA drives in a RAID-0 array, two IDE drives in drive drawers, and two optical drives. They all play nice together. :smile:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awesome guys, thanks a bunch!!

looks like im just going to add another 2 HD's
:sayyes:

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
I have an 80GB and 120GB on IDE 1, a DVD-RW and CD-RW on IDE 2 and a 160GB on SATA1. I have 3 more SATA ports and an IDE raid connector so I can slap in 7 more drives!! Of course, I would likely need 2nd PSU but that would be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.