Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I click on an icon on my desktop sometimes it takes forever for the program to open up, especially aol. Is there any way that I can speed it up, other than double clicking it four times in a row? And even then sometimes it doesn't open up at all, it just remains selected. It works better when I just go through Programs instead. What can I do and what's causing it?

Thanks,
von

·
Registered
26 Posts
the programs are just very large and you probably have allot of background operations running.

try to reduce the background operations by removing stuff from the start:programs:start up folder

or using regedit to clean out your run registry (ask if youd like someone to guide you threw this)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do I use regedit? Can I use regedit to delete programs as well? Half of my programs that I want to delete don't show up in Add/Remove anyway.

Thanks,
Von

·
Registered
165 Posts
You can make programs show up in "Software Add/Remove" for programs that are hidden.

Find the following Windows/inf/sysoc.inf (display hidden files in the folder)

Open sysoc.inf with Notepad and look for the lines containing 'hide', remove the word 'hide' for programs you want to be displayed.

ex. msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7

Save the modified sysoc.inf, that's it !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.