Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of cleaning up my computer I have noticed my icon for the control panel is no longer there. When I go to start>control panel, it pulls up the control panel but the normal icon is not there. It as if it was deleted. I am not sure how to correct this.

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts
G'Day ukbsktbll,

Try this to get your Contol Panel icon back...

Right click START > Properties > Start Menu > Customise > Advanced > Now scroll down until you see Control Panel > click the box > OK > Apply > OK.

Now Left Click Start, and you should have the Control Panel Listed on the Right Hand side of the Start Menu.

Post back with any queries/concerns. :wave:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just posted a HJT log and had help cleaning it up. It looks like this:

i actually have one or two others that look the same.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Run the System File Checker

Go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow ( sfc if not reconized) (Note that there is a space between sfc and /scannow)

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.

In all likelihood you will be prompted to insert the Windows XP CD.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It asks me to insert Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 cd. what do I do all i got is my regular windows CD.

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Rebuilding the icon cache should sort this out but as you have already tried that....i'd recommend giving Stardock's Icon Packager a try as I know you can change the Control Panel folder icon with just a few clicks using that.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I had the same problem, but with my C:/ drive icon. TweakUI didn't fix it, but a program called Regseeker has a "Rebuild Icon Cache" feature that did.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.