Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I reboot (or refresh the desktop) all the icons are autoarranged on the left side. My desktop icon settings are set to 'align to grid' - NOT autoarrange.

The QuickLaunch bar is also missing on reboot - I have to manually use taskbar properties to turn it on after every reboot.

I think I created these problems while running a freeware registry cleaner...so I expect the solution is changing some reg value(s). But I have no idea what to do in the registry so have not looked there.

Does anyone know what to change so my icons and quicklaunch setings are no lost on reboot?

thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
Fixing a registry entry which causes the Quick Launch issue (not retaining the settings)

Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT. Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ WindowsNT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon

In the right-pane, change the value of Userinit to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,"

Type the above value exactly as given, including the comma - exclude the quotes. Also, change the path to userinit.exe appropriately if Windows is installed in a different drive.

Close Registry Editor and restart Windows. The Quick Launch settings should be retained now.

http://www.winxptutor.com/wsaremove.htm

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Linesman...
But the problem still remaiins. In fact the key (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ WindowsNT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon ) was already set correctly ( "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,") without quotes and including the comma.

Still looking for advice on this problem....thanks again.

Barrett

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.