Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a IBM Thinkpad R40, bought it last year, and ran out of it's 1 year warranty in March of this year, never had a problem with it until now.

Yesterday, I decided to upgrade the drivers/apps from IBM, by installing the Thinkvantage Software Installer.

Well, it installed several applications such as IBM Thinkpad Battery Maxmiser and Power Management Features 1.38 -- Bios Update 1.30 -- etc.

Once everything was installed, I unplugged the AC Adapter sat to use the R40, when after 10 minutes, I got a low battery sign and the system soon went in to standby.

I plugged the AC Adapter, and the battery was down to 2%, well I tried this several times but had no luck, same problem.

Then I thought it might be the battrey but how weird would it be that the day i do the upgrades, thats the day the battery dies.

Well, one thing I realized is when I plug the AC Adapter back on, it starts charging, and everytime the battery meter goes up to like 11-12% -- it shoots to 100% !!!

Then I guess the battery is fine, it's just the software or Bios. I uninstalled the Battery Maxmiser apps, reinstalled, but still ran in to the same problem, I even tried finding a old version, but no luck, found one really old one but it still gave same problem.

My friend tells me it might be the new Bios, but I don't know what to do, am out of warranty and need some help pls.

I can't try the battery elsewhere becz no one i know has the R series. Also, I can't get another battery unless I risk buying one off eBay.

Please help -- could it be the Bios - any tricks I need to try.

FYI - from the Bios, I disabled anything that might contradict the Battery Maximizer program, to be on the safe side, I did this once nothing works.

I'm backing everything up right now on another computer, just in case I need to reformat or go back to original, or something like that.

Help (Fast) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I flashed again using the old bios version no luck. I tried doing a system restoe using Windows but it did not work, for some reason. I uninstalled Battery MAximiser and Power Management feature - and tried using Windows but still same problem.

Now, I was doing a system restore using IBM Backup and Recovery, I luckily did make a backup on 3 months ago, if that does not work I guess then it's the battery thats the problem, though how strange would it be that it stopped working the day I did the upgrades.

The Backup procedure is taking so long, I made a backup on a network drive, and I left the computer on from 1am this morning, but still all I see is the green hard drive flashing in the Thinkvantage backup program, it shows no progress or nothing, I wasn't sure if it was working or not, but i saw the green flasshing real fast, along with the port 1 & 3 lights on the router, from where the Thinkpad and desktop computer are connected.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just came back from home during lunch, the restore is still running, i see the hd green light flashing -- is this normal?

been 12 hrs already

·
Registered
96 Posts
It can be, depending on your network.

it also depends on how much data you are restoring. If it is over a few gig, it can take awhile.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i think it is over a few gigs - i think the backup file wheni created a few months ago was a 1 gig or more itself.

Just had me worried, that i left it running at 1am, and now its 2:30pm, but nothing on the screen, i tried clicking on the links on the side, it just said error the log is full or something -- and i just see the router flashing , and the laptop green hard drive light flashing, making sounds.

It's a good thing I didnt reboot -- i wish there was way to check the progress -- how long should i wait before rebooting - becz i thought to myself even if its a few gig - it shouldnt take more than 12 hrs.

thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe the backup file itself is 8-9 Gb

The total run time since I left the laptop has been now 16hrs -- and it still looks like is working - like when I click on restart - it says to close all open apps and any unsaved work will be lost.

I'm guessing the restore is still working? Shall I leave it on longer?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's still running, almost coming to 24 hrs of continuously running, I just can't believe it would take this long.

is this even realistic?

I mean if there was a progres bar, I would be happy, but all I see i s the thinkvantage REscue main screen with my mouse there, though i still see the green light flashing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just my luck... I called IBM Support seeing if they can help me since Im out of warranty, just asked them a quick question, the said you should reboot, I rebooted, my existing system comes up with the same battery problem.

So 20+ hrs for nothing.

Now - before I go through that ordeal, any ideas how i can eliminate/narrow my problems - is it the battery the problem? It always shows healty but now it doesn't last 5 min.

Any tools to check it or anyway for me to test it?

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now, I get a message when checking the battery that it needs to be recondiitioned, whatever that means, the color is yellow.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Reconditioning means to use a tool to run the battery down, recharge it, then run it down again. This is done several times to erase a memory that has built up. I use battery reconditioners for my RC stuff. But most of the time I just junk them and use new ones. I dont know if there is one for laptop batteries

I suppose that it is time to find another battery. You might try ebay, but you could get one with the same problem.

You might try retailers like Batteries Plus or someone like that.

Good luck with it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had another quick question -- my Thinkpad takes a lot of time to boot now - especially when I went through this ordeal, going through recovery backup when it actually didn't work.

A lot of it are the drivers, I have like 4 different folders with IBM tools/drivers -- i think mostly of the files that i downloaded, which folders can I delete?

Also, i have like 756MB ram, still boot time is slow. I have tiny hard drive with like 20GB , but 5GB is hidden -- what is that hidden portion? Does it contain like the original IBM config -- if so how can I access it?

Thanks for all the help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.