Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a IBM Thinkpad R32 and the other day windows crashed and I had to do a reinstall to get it back working. Now it is working but there it is very slow and I will be typing on my keyboard from the docking station and then laptop and CRT will go blank. I have to hit the keyboard on the laptop to get it to clear. When I shutdown it shutsdown to screen that says "you can shut down your computer now" In device manager under computer I have the following; ACPI 1st Standard PC 2nd. Is it normal to have two items under computer? Which one should have, any and all help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
is pnp enabled in the bios to allow the operating sysytem to take control of pnp after the bios
so apm does the shutdown
check dma is enabled on your drives

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DMA is selected, I think that pnp is enabled in bios.

There is also two IDE controller that I cannot get to take a driver or quit trying to install. I already have the primary and secondary IDE Controllers installed.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
in the device manager click on view at the top and then show hidden devices
then check for any yellow alongside of anything
check windows is set to control apm[auto power management]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Hi,

When you installed XP, did you use a retail disk? It looks like Windows is using a lot of generic drivers, and for one thing, it doesn't even recognize your IDE controler. You should take a look at this page for installing the correct drivers.
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-44838
It might be easiest to use the restore partition. Look in the manual for restoring the laptop to its factory state (without CDs). It will give a key combination you will have to press before Windows boots. That is the best way to reinstall Windows, because all your drivers will be included.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Installed new harddrive on this computer. Restore partion still there, but it will not load due to partition. If I restore it with the restore partion. I will have to reinstall everthing. and I am trying to advoid that. I have tried to install the correct drivers but some I cannot get to install properly

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found a link to the software that is suppose to keep the drivers updated on a IBM computer. I installed it and going to reboot computer and see what happens

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.