Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IBM Thinkpad 600x

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IBM Thinkpad 600x

Hi All

I'm new here. I am hoping someone can help me.
My IBM Thinkpad 600x had XP on it. I took it off & put Win98. I don't want
Win98 I want XP on it again. But the laptop won't let me format it. I tried
fdisk. I tried loading XP right over it. Now when I start my laptop it beeps
2 times & the number 8611 comes up. Then the next screen shows a hand in a circle with a dash through it. And 2 boxes with "ok" or "restart" I clk restart & get the same screens. I can't start in safe mode. I have held Clt down when lap starts up, this does nothing either except then instead of getting the # 8611 I get # 8116. Please Help

badgirlslykeme
IBM Thinkpad 600x :4-dontkno

·
retired
1,966 Posts
Hello bgs, welcome to TSF.

In future, start only one thread to ask a question, otherwise the Mod's have to spend time on forum maintenance-which means less time spent on answering your (and others) questions.

This is a common error for the tp600x and others have found some ways to deal with it, here is 4 methods...
-----------------------------------------------------
After the first error screen loads, hit ESC. and you will be taken to another screen with 3 little pictures(basically saying error 08661=bad=consult IBM.
At this screen hit F1

When the error loads up, let it get as far as possible, then there will be a restart button to click, hit this then it will give the error number, a red symbol then the IBM book symbol. Then hit F5 or F8 and it will lead you to the config. When here, just select to load the computer normally and then you are ready to go!

* If an emergency power down is made by switching the system off during or while an application is open, then immediately switching the system on creates a 8611 error.
* Repeatedly turning power off and back on without properly shutting down or allowing the system to shut itself down.

The Solution:

* Wait at least 6 seconds or longer after shutting down the system or before restarting to correct the 8611 error.
1: Turn on your laptop

2: When the error screen comes up, DO NOT press continue. Just press the escape button (Esc)

3: A new screen should have come up. You must now wait about a minute for your system to process the info

4: Now press escape (Esc) again.

5: A large red sign, with a book next to it should come up. If it does not, press F1

6: Once the big red sign comes up, press F1 (even if you already have).

7: Now wait at least five minutes for your system to boot up.

8: Windows should start up. If it does not, turn of your laptop and go from step one again.

(NOTE): You will now have to repeat this process every time you turn on your laptop
------------------------------------------------------------------
Also try F1 on start up and initialize the system.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.