Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a i7 motherboard and i overclocked it to 3.4 Ghz with 50% load and the temp stayed at about 44-48C is this a fine temp for it?

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
If it never gets over 60c, then I would not worry about it. I didn't know if this was the idle temp or the under-stress temp, so difficult to say, but look at the top under-stress temps as a guideline to being safe.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where can i test out the stress test for overclocking it? i am using easytune6 but i dont see anywhere where it says anthing about stress test or guideline for temps

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
typo on needed - ended
i am going to get another hard drive as well any suggestion on a high speed one/decent hard drive? within the 60 dollar range and a dvd burner 20-30 dollar range, suggestion please

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,106 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
iono that hard drive seems like people say it stops working does this one seem ok?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073
arctic silver 5 seems fine i will probably buy that and whats so good about that dvd burner compared to these 3?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151173
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151171
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136152
they seem cheaper and better? and more reviews to go off of, lots of comments please

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
isnt the processor suppose to come with thermal compound? cause this one didnt

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
ok i finally actually have everything set for the computer, have been pretty busy with stuff, does having the heat sink that came with the processor make that big of a difference compared to a different heatsink? i tried the orthos program but when i started on 4 of the cores being stress tested the temp got over 65 so then i just turn them off, temp doesnt seem to be very low, processor not overclocked yet just normal 2.6 ghz

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
the idle temp is 35-40 and with gaming about 45-50 but overclocking to 3.2 ghz idle is 43-46 and gaming is about 49-53, when i use the orthos and stress test just 2 of the cores not overclocked it easily gets about 65c,i wonder if i put the thermal compound on wrong on the cpu

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
pea shape on processor and spread it in a oval/circle on cpu, i tried the straight line first but temp was at like 45c idle and i retried it with the oval shape, do i need to let the thermal compound sit for like a few days to break in the thermal compound or something like that? does heat sink make that big of a difference compared to the one it came with, with one i can buy?

·
54,106 Posts
You don't need to let the thermal compound sit before installing the heat sink, however some like Arctic Silver 5 have a break in period of up to 50 hours of use before it works at it's peak efficiency.
The stock heat sink will work fine at stock speeds, for overclocking it is a good idea to get a better after market cooler.

·
54,106 Posts
You don't need to let the thermal compound sit before installing the heat sink, however some like Arctic Silver 5 have a break in period of up to 50 hours of use before it works at it's peak efficiency.
The stock heat sink will work fine at stock speeds, for overclocking it is a good idea to get a better after market cooler.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
any suggestions on any coolings?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.