Tech Support banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Dell Vostro 410 J584C motherboard, currently running an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 CPU. I'm wondering if someone could please tell me if the i3-9100F is compatible with it? If not, does anyone have a good suggestion for a CPU upgrade without having to change my motherboard, that also won't cost an arm and a leg? I'm just looking for a little bit more oomph in my gaming, but I only play once or twice a week so I don't wanna spend too much. Thanks in advance.

·
Moderator, - Microsoft Support,BSOD Kernel Dump A
Olfactory training for spam detection.
5,879 Posts
Core 2 Quads are several CPU socket 'generations' behind the i3-9100F. The best CPU for your 'board is the highest# Core 2 Quad you can find/afford but you might want to steer clear of the 3 Extreme QX versions, they might require a stronger PSU/'board and different RAM to make the most of the extra performance.

It might be better to fit a more recent graphics card, depending on the type of game(s) you play, otherwise a few hundred $ on current budget gaming components (a new build) might be better.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a Dell Vostro 410 J584C motherboard, currently running an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 CPU. I'm wondering if someone could please tell me if the i3-9100F is compatible with it? If not, does anyone have a good suggestion for a CPU upgrade without having to change my motherboard, that also won't cost an arm and a leg? I'm just looking for a little bit more oomph in my gaming, but I only play once or twice a week so I don't wanna spend too much. Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the Decade+ Old but Still Running Club! I have a unit running a Q6600 Core 2 Quad. At the time I built the unit in 2008 or 2009, it was near the top of the line. Those CPUs used either the Intel P35/G33/G31 or P43 chipsets and, as noted above, the LGA 775 socket. The chipsets also used DDR2 memory of varying speeds; up to 8GB for the P35/G33/G31 series and up to 16GB for the P43 series. I run mine on a Gigabyte EP43-UD3L mb. As was pointed out previously, your CPU, chip set and memory are several generations behind now so new component drop in compatibility is not really happening. You are searching for older components. I am not knowledgeable of Dell's units as they tended to have propriety components and operational quality varied year to year so you would need to check under the cover to see exactly what you have installed and can actually replace.

To extend the life of my custom assembled unit, about 4 or 5 years ago I bumped up the original 2GB DRAM to 6GB (DDR2 got cheaper but harder to find as DDR3 took over), switched it to 64-bit from 32-bit OS, replaced the original hard drive with a newer HD model (cloning the data over) and upgraded the video card. It had been running a similar era Nvidia GeForce 8 series or 9 series card (I forget which exact model). I located and dropped in an AMD Radeon HD7770 2GB (ASUS branded) card. That multi-generational jump (at least 4 years newer design and technological gain) put some more life back into it for gaming. We still actively use the unit today but one doesn't game on the latest high powered games. It does accommodate DirectX10. Finding older cards and components now can be tough, though. Cryptocurrency miners snapped up all the Nvidia GTX 800 thru 1000 series video cards and similar Radeon series cards. I was lucky to find mine when I did. Otherwise, you are looking at a US$800-1000 hit to buy new depending on your gaming level desire, included features, need for optical drive and longevity aim.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts