Tech Support banner

What is wrong with Windows 8/.1

• The start menu.

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • The lack of not knowing where everything is.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • The dreaded Metro-UI

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Not able to connect to ad-hoc networks on 8.1

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • The lack of built in games

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Actually, I like it with 8.1

Votes: 3 18.8%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Computer Wizard?
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If this is in the wrong place please move it or delete it and pm me on where I should put a post like this. Anyways I was wondering why it would seem everyone hates Windows 8/.1 so much. As a person that has used windows ever since Windows 95 I just can't see what the problem with it is. So I thought I would make a thread with a poll on it to see why people don't like it. I have a few of the reasons I think people don't like it so much and I will explain in the next post why I think each reason is actually perfectly fine.

·
Microsoft MVP, Microsoft Team Moderator, Articles
39,557 Posts
With the addition of Classic Shell, I don't mind Windows 8.1

Although I could do without the MetroUI on my laptop. On my tablet I like the MetroUI.

On my laptop I ONLY use the desktop. Almost never use the apps or store.

·
Computer Wizard?
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now the first thing is the start menu. Now I can understand that most people that have used windows since the beginning are hating the fact there is no start menu. Well if you miss the start menu so much then just get the classic shell. It gives you the start menu back and it is just like windows 7 menu is. And you can even make it the classic menu as well instead of the 2 columns like windows 7 has by default.
Now the second on the list not know where everything is. Well it is quite simple really just right click the start button and you will find pretty much everything you are looking for. Run, control panel, add remove programs, device manager, and almost anything you wouldn't find in the original start menu. Also if you have been using windows long enough you would kind of know alternate ways of finding what you are looking for. As Windows 8/.1 is basically Windows 7 with the metro-UI without a start menu and many improvements with a few redesigns on the way the explorer gui is like the top of windows where you could usually go in and click folder options and hide hidden files and system files and stuff.
Now for the metro-UI why would you not like it? As you can have the weather and your mail appear right when you start the computer up. And you can even have all your games and everything else right where you can see them. Also you can play solitaire fullscreen.
And now for the last thing which is not being able to connect to ad hoc. This is my own issue that I have found that I don't really like all that much. On Windows 8.1 you can't connect to a ad hoc network. You can see it says there are networks available but when you click on it to see them it says there isn't any available. But of course there is away around this. You just have to type a few things into the command prompt and then create a .bat file so you can just click on it whenever you want to connect to it and you are good to go.
Now that about sums up why I think all the things people may not like about windows 8/.1 aren't actually such a bad thing after all. If you think there is other reasons just make a reply and I will add it to the poll if I can.

·
Computer Wizard?
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Is it possible to edit the poll? I think I have done it before I just forget how to do it. If it is not possible for me to edit it and only a moderator can you add (The lack of built in games)? As I forgot that could be one major issue that people may not like about it. Since as long as I can remember it has always had built in games. And while I am at it might as well say why it isn't such a big deal of there not being any built in games. The way I see it windows has been spoiling everyone by putting games that they have made and built into windows. Really some companies have to remove these games to actually get people to work. Now that they aren't installed by default companies just have to prevent games from being installed. If you want some of the games back that were installed by default that were on Windows 7 just search for them in the store. They are completely free other than you can purchase them and get them to be premium without ads. On a computer without an internet connection you won't get ads so there is no big deal.

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
Because windows 8 is designed for touch screen monitors and mobile phone and tablets. Unless you make it look like normal windows then it's just a big mess of squares and colours imo.

Microsoft always make a duff OS before or after a good one and Vista was crap, 7 was good 8 is crap so therefore windows 9 should be a good one.

I havent voted as none of the option apply to what I think.

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Why does Microsoft do that greenbrucelee is it routine the norm? Do they do that to see how people will like it to make the OS better if need be hence Windows Vista to Windows 7 also Windows 8 to Windows 9? As I mentioned before. They should of at least made two different Windows 8 the metro for tablets and phones and another with a Windows 7 feel with more enhancements etc... for non touch screen computers.

Edit: People say use the Shell but isn't that going against Microsoft/Windows license changing Windows OS GUI?

·
Decessit
68,881 Posts
There are other things they have moved and changed getting to the bios,device manager are just 2 which makes it a longer route to get to things we use when helping folks

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
I agree with you there joeten. A whole new learning curve for me. I wish I had a copy of (buy) to put Windows 8 on a VM so I can get use to it. I don't have the money or my own PC, I use my sisters which has Windows 7 on it.

·
Decessit
68,881 Posts
I have it got it for a knock down price when I bought my laptop over a year ago, still not convinced I want to go through the process since I tried the pre release and did not appreciate it.

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
Why does Microsoft do that greenbrucelee is it routine the norm? Do they do that to see how people will like it to make the OS better if need be hence Windows Vista to Windows 7 also Windows 8 to Windows 9? As I mentioned before. They should of at least made two different Windows 8 the metro for tablets and phones and another with a Windows 7 feel with more enhancements etc... for non touch screen computers.

Edit: People say use the Shell but isn't that going against Microsoft/Windows license changing Windows OS GUI?
I am not sure but it's probably like when UBisoft make splintercell which is good then their french partner makes the next splintercell and its crap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hah, that reminds me that one of my friends spend lots of time finding the button of shutdown when he first install win 8.
As for myself, I think the most unsatisfied design is the email link. When I click an email address, it turn to the microsoft email page soon.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Microsoft always make a duff OS before or after a good one and Vista was crap, 7 was good 8 is crap so therefore windows 9 should be a good one.
Anyone dare provide a rationale for that? A theory maybe?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I love Windows 8 and 8.1! I upgraded my PC FROM 7 to 8 then 8.1. I ran Win8.1 beta for about 4 months before the release and loved it. I just got a laptop that is 10-point touch and think it beats OSx, iOS, and Android. I also have a Windows Phone 8 and love that too. I hope Windows 8.2 (Windows 9?) will stay true to the new Windows 8 feel but brings back the things people hate about it. I would also love to see more connectivity between Windows, Windows Phone, Xbox 360, and Xbox One.

·
Premium Member
19,794 Posts
Anyone dare provide a rationale for that? A theory maybe?
winme and vista were both throwaway operating systems. they were created for the sole purpose of preparing the way for the next upgrade. both operating systems were completely different from the previous thus requiring more powerful computers, new drivers, and updating of software. by the time the different manufacturers of those products got their act together, it was time for the next upgrade (xp and win7). those upgrades went smoother because of the path winme and vista provided.

It seems win8 is doing the exact same thing. microsoft is now wanting all of their products to run the same operating system. It is supposed to make it easier for us so we do not have to learn a different os for each device and computer we own. they are wanting software companies to create software that will run on both and they also want to make it easier to install drivers. Look at surface 2. In a few years, if microsoft does it right, surface2 could be the future of computers. there are a couple of companies out there that have similar type of computers. anyway, by the time win9 is released, most of the bugs will be worked out and it will be accepted, just like xp and win7.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I voted start menu...but that's because there is no option for stupidity!

Why do they even want two desktops? We know Windows 8.1 is meant for touch screen devices and a crippled desktop for PC and laptop users.

So why even load the metro ui on a desktop. The premise is wrong,I really hope they sort it out with Windows 9 which is quickly being made ready.

I can use 8.1 very well and use it at work.. but it is bag of horrors for the ordinary user..

Not Impressed by it even though i am using it.

·
Computer Wizard?
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I guess I can kind of understand for those that aren't very technically inclined and learn technical things quickly. As for myself I learned how to use windows 8 and 8.1 quickly. I think right clicking the start button and being able to access the task manger and device manager and other stuff is a lot faster than clicking start then right clicking stuff then clicking on what you want. I think the older way takes longer to do where as just doing 1 right click and one left click is a lot faster as it is right there and you don't have to jump through hoops to find it. And as for the OS being for touch screens that isn't entirely the case. As they have Windows RT for the touch screens and Windows 8 and 8.1 for desktops and laptops.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
its a fact

win 95 wasn't good, win 98SE was good, windows 2000 was ok, windows xp was great, vista was crap, win 7 is good, win 8 pants.
Windows accurately summed up ^ :smile:
I don't hate" 8 but it really offers nothing new other than touch screen ability and who wants fingerprints all over the screen?
If MS holds true to form, the next Windows "might" be notable.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.