Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
What's the brand and model of the computer ?

PS/2 or USB mouse and keyboard ? If wireless check the batteries.

Try to plug a wired mouse (if USB doesn't work try PS/2) to one of the rear ports of the computer so that you can turn the computer off the normal way. Else hold the power button down until the computer shuts down (not recommended, you'll lose the info that wasn't saved on the hard drive).

Replug your mouse and keyboard (if USB plug them on rear USB ports) and turn the computer back on.

·
Registered
251 Posts
i need more detail. how exactly did you take it out of your processor. i upgraded my computer with xp to vista home premium and my ps/2 mouse wouldn't work anymore. i ended up buying a wireless keyboard and mouse set and now everything is fine.

but please more detail.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More Info- i took out the mouse and keyboard from the back of the processor, its a hp with windows vista. I have tried turning it on and off.
Apparently there is some sort of button configuration, However without a keyboard and mouse i cant do anything. Thanks. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
251 Posts
i still don't understand.

is it usb or ps/2?

do you mean you disconnected the keyboard and mouse from the keyboard and mouse port on the back of the tower?

did it come with the computer?

whats this about button configeration?

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,106 Posts
Sounds like he unplugged a PS2 style mouse and keyboard while the PC was on and now that he plugged them back in of course they don't work.

Push the power button in the front of your computer case it should turn off if it does not as a last resort unplug the power cord. Make sure you have the mouse and keyboard plugged into the correct plugs on the back (they may be color coded) and try restarting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have restarted the computer a few times, and still the mouse and keyboard dont work.

-the mouse and keyboard DID come with the computer and i just unplugged them from the back of the processor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
at the back the two ports have little pictures of a mouse and keyboard. I put them into the correct ones. They go in perfectly, should i get a new mouse and keyboard or call someone who is good with computers?

Thanks guys, i really apreciate your contributions.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
It's pretty unlikely that your mouse and keyboard got damaged at the same time. Test them on another computer to make sure. Why did you unplug them in the first place ?

What's the brand and model of your computer ? If it's a custom build then what's the motherboard's brand and model ?

When you turn the computer on with the keyboard attached you should see the 3 little lights (num lock, caps lock, scroll lock) flash once. If nothing happens then there's a problem with the keyboard or the motherboard.

Try to enter the BIOS at startup (repeatedly press del or look for some "press xx to enter setup" message), if your keyboard responds at that time then the problem is related to Windows.

See if you can borrow an USB keyboard and mouse from some friend and test your computer with them. If an USB mouse or keyboard works but a PS/2 one doesn't then there's a problem with the PS/2 ports on the motherboard.

Do you get a "keyboard error", "keyboard not found", "no keyboard present" or similar message at startup ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.