Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Much as I can live without Incredimail and it's alleged Spyware, it's bloated E:Mails and it's inefficiencies, even after the company has been repeatedly informed that they are lacking in the most basic of Message Rules, my wife and kids love it !!!
In case you don't know, the Message Rules do not allow you to check if the E:Mail is addressed to you, and if it is not, then to leave it on the server, so I constantly get E:Mails forwarded to Outlook Express from my kids that are for me, but they 'accidentally' downloaded "a few days ago" ... yeah, and the rest !!! ... Oh, I should point out that this happens when you have multiple E:Mail addresses under a single useried ... i.e. [email protected], [email protected] & [email protected] ... Incredimail cannot differentiate between these and will download them all if somebody presses the Send & Receive button !!!

An obvious and presumably easy upgrade of their Message Rules would be the most obvious and easiest way around this, I've asked them numerous times but they certainly haven't taken my advice on board as there has been a recent new release with no changes to Message Rules !!!

So, eventually, to my workaround ... does anybody know of any (decent/cheap/free) software that will sit between my PC and the E:Mail programs and perform a similar service to Outlook Express's rules ?!? I have found a few programs that perport to act as servers, but they are very complicated to set up & I'm still not sure that they'll do what I want ... they'll certainly do a hell of a lot more than I want, that's for sure !!!

Basically, I suppose I am looking for a piece of Software that will, when the Incredimail Send & Receive button is pressed, will filter what is on the server ...

Any help greatly appreciated ...

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Read this post I stumbled across on IncrediMail, I think you should consider a less invasive email service! If this doesn't give you pause for thought, you need to read it again. :no::rolleyes::no:

6) IncrediMail Problems (Part One)

Hi Fred, I'm a network administrator for a large Reservation in Minnesota. One of my users asked me if it would be all right to install a new E-mail client package called Incredimail, I checked out the http://www.incredimail.com website and noticed stellar recommendations from Cnet, ZDnet, and Tucows so I downloaded the demo to check it out. What I found in the user agreement for the software was pretty unbelievable, obviously the people who recommended this software didn't read it. The agreement itself is extremely long... but the attached excerpt from the agreement almost knocked me out of my chair:

"10. UNSOLICITED MATERIALS
Any confidential, secret or proprietary information or other material submitted or sent to IncrediMail, including without limitation via any Message sent by You through the Service, Site, or IncrediMail's physical mail and e-mail addresses, or in any other way, will be deemed to be not confidential or secret. By submitting or sending information or other material to IncrediMail or by posting information on any portion of the Service you (a) Warrant that you have all rights of any kind to the material and that to the best of your knowledge no other party has any rights to the material; and (b) Grant IncrediMail an unrestricted, perpetual, irrevocable license to use, reproduce, display, perform, modify, transmit and distribute the material, and you further agree that IncrediMail is free to use any ideas, know-how, concepts or techniques you send us or post on the Service for any purpose, without any compensation to you or any other person."

I'm not a reactionary person by nature but the implication of that paragraph for the average user is staggering. I always tell my users to read every agreement carefully but of course many don't, this agreement is especially long and loaded with legalspeak to further guarantee that the average person won't read it all. People are ultimately responsible for their own actions but I believe that this particular company goes way too far in misleading people about their ultimate goal and someone needs to shine a light on them and make people aware of what's really going on, at least then they can make an informed choice about using the service. I'm a subscriber to several technical newsletters and I'm writing to all of them. Thank you for your time, love your newsletter. --- Ed McPhail

Some of that language is similar to that used by other mail services and ISPs to get around copyright issues that can innocently arise when proprietary information is sent through a third party--- for example, it's not uncommon for an ISP to want to ensure they're not violating a copyright if they merely store a copy of your mail on their servers while it's being processed.

But I can't think of any innocent reason for the phrasing that states "... IncrediMail is free to use any ideas, know-how, concepts or techniques you... post on the Service for any purpose, without any compensation to you or any other person." Maybe there is a perfectly inoffensive reason for including that, but it eludes me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.