Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pc was giving me major trouble, sometimes not even booting past the startup screen, and it crashed every few minutes. I decided it was time for a reinstallation of xp. My pc also has a few other problems, so I just backed up the important stuff, and tried to reformat. I couldn't get it to reformat, because it either said drive in use (system prompt), or there are important temporary setup files located there (xp cd). I just tried to reinstall it normally, so I just did the option to overwrite the current setup, this is where things get bad.

It was nearly done, it was in the finalization process, when my pc crashed. On the ensuing reboot, it told me that a critical windows file was corrupted, and that I had to repair it using the xp cd, and I could either choose to start in safe mode (3 diff versions of it), or just start windows normally. Any option I pick, it reboots my pc, and even with the xp disc in it, it gives me the same damn error and reboot if I press any button. I tried to make a msdos disk so that I could try to format the harddrive, but that doesn't even seem to work (I don't even think that my a drive works anymore, that could be a very big problem, I've suspected it for a few months now, but never really bothered to check it out, since I never use it).

So now my pc is stuck on an eternal loop where it just leads to restarting, and there's nothing I can do to try and fix the error. I think that my pc may have a few hardware problems, but it's mainly the software. Anyway that I can get around the xp installation error?

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

First of all, do you have the regular OS self-booting disk or those darn restore disks????

If you have the regular OS disk that is self-booting, then do the following:

Enter the BIOS setup menu (DEL held down upon booting as a general rule) and set your boot order to:

CDRom
Floppy
Hard Drive (the one you want to boot from)

Don't forget to save before you exit.

Put the OS disk in the CDRom, let it boot up and try to install again. With the problem you are having, let it create a new partition and format when it asks.

Tell us exactly what happens when you do that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just tried that method, but it said it failed to boot from my cd rom drive. I think I may have one of those restore cd's instead of the autoboot ones. What should I try now?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Go pick up a floppy drive from a local computer store (used about 5$). change the boot sequence back to the A: put a system disk in and use fdisk to delete any partitions, restart using the floppy drive again (with CD support), format C:then run setup from your CD. Good Luck! Keep in mind I'm not sure how well this will work with the restore disk, never used them, avoided them like the plague!

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
with restore disks you usually insert the cd and then press one of the F keys to start the restore,depending on the brand,i don't have much to with comps with restore disks they are not very common here,usually laptops

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.