Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I tried installing my GEFORCE4 MX440 into the PC. However, after turning on the PC, the video card fails to load. I know that it's connected properly because the moniter flicks when plugged in.

When I install the GEFORCE4, the video card of both the built in (Intel 82945G Express Chipset Family) and GEFORCE4 fail to load. My monitor acts like it's not receiving any signal.

I have an HP Pavilion a1620n.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Welcome to the forum WaterCup,

Firstly take out the GeForce card. You then need to boot to windows, uninstall any existing video drivers in device manager and install the GeForce drivers then shut down your computer, put in the GeForce card and reboot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't work

When I try to install the nVidia driver, it says that no supported hardware was found.

Are you sure about this?

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

MunkyPhil has given you good advice. Take out the new video card and boot up with the onboard card and have it up and running. Now, in the device manager, DISABLE the onboard video. That only takes effect when you shut down. Then, shut down, install your new card, boot up, and then the computer will find the new card. Then, you should be able to install your new drivers.

Post back with questions/concerns.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
What do you mean disable the onboard video?

I uninstalled the built in graphics card, rebooted my comp, put the new card in, and there was no effect.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
HI,

Back up and use the onboard first, get that card running. When you right click on the video area, there is an option called Disable. Use that instead of uninstall, because what happens with an uninstall, is that the computer finds the onboard again and then you are right back where you started. That is where you are now, it has reinstalled the onboard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I just did what you guys said. I first disabled and turned off, put card in.

Then, I disabled and uninstalled the card and restarted.

Both were fruitless.

My screen's now screwed up with funny coloring.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
I just did what you guys said. I first disabled and turned off, put card in.

Then, I disabled and uninstalled the card and restarted.

You were not supposed to do this twice. You only were supposed to DISABLE the onboard card, not the new one. When you put the second card it, you should have tried to load the drivers.

Both were fruitless.

My screen's now screwed up with funny coloring.

Take out the new card again. If you can get in there, then uninstall the things under the video area and start again.

Take out the new card, and start up again and see if you have the funny coloring.

If this does not work, then try system restore to the last restore point.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate the feedback but let me elaborate on the problems. I think there might be some misunderstanding.

When I use the onboard driver and start the comp, everything's normal.

When I put in the Geforce card and connect the monitor into the geforce card, it doesn't work. The screen acts like the comp is turned off.

When I put in the Geforce card and connect the monitor into the ONBOARD card, it doesn't work either. the screen acts like the comp is turned off.

Now on the replies above, what happened was that I followed the instructions and ended up with the monitor blank. So I cannot ever operate the computer (it's like being blindfolded) with the geforce card in.

Now if everything works normal except the geforce 4 card (monitor turning on with the onboard), then that's another story. However, this is not the case and it's weird because plugging in the geforce card prevents my onboard from working.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

If you don't get anything, even with the GeForce card, then your BIOS setup menu is messed up. If you can get in there, set everything back to defaults.

Just to be clear, if you take out the new card right now and use the onboard, can you get anything on your monitor?????? That is the most important question before we go any further.

If not, then unplug everything from the wall, ground yourself and remove the motherboard battery for a few minutes or change the clear CMOS jumper for a few minutes. Then, put everything back and boot up and it should come up. When you get this done, post back with results.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't take out the cards while the comp is on. But when I do take out the new card, the onboard works fine. However, once the new card is inserted, the onboard AND the new card doesn't work.
Therefore, I have to force shut down, take out the card, and turn it back on to resume my computing session.

I bought my computer just 12 hours ago so I can't imagine the BIOS being too screwed.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
I don't take out the cards while the comp is on. But when I do take out the new card, the onboard works fine. However, once the new card is inserted, the onboard AND the new card doesn't work.

If you have it working, then try again to go in and disable the onboard video. Remember, don't uninstall or delete, use the Disable option in there.

Then, shut down your computer. Put in your new video card and hook the monitor to the new card. Start back up and it should be in VGA mode and it should work. If it does, then install your new drivers and see what happens.

Therefore, I have to force shut down, take out the card, and turn it back on to resume my computing session.

I bought my computer just 12 hours ago so I can't imagine the BIOS being too screwed.

Hey, you can get a messed up BIOS in about two seconds if you get some drivers in that the unit doesn't like or if you have to force a shutdown without the normal shutdown procedure.

However, you don't need to clear the CMOS if you can use the computer with the old onboard card in there.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I apologise Watercup, my advice to you was off the mark. I hope I didn't waste much time. It looks as if my colleague Tumbleweed has things more than in order here now :pray: , if I'd just said disable in the first place :embarased .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.